1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 18-70mm Kit Lens broken?

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by DaveBee, Jan 12, 2010.

1. DaveBee

DaveBee Member

Hello, newbie first-poster here.
    I've had my A200 for just over a year now and I'm enjoying it thoroughly. Yesterday though, my wife went to turn it on and it started making the most horrendous grinding/buzzing noise from the autofocus motor. This is with the 18-70mm kit lens attached.
    I took the lens off and tried both of my other lenses and the camera functions perfectly with those.
    When rotating the focus ring of the kit lens (off the camera) there is a definite notch or sticking point about midway round... not much, but evidently enough to throw the autofocus motor into hysterics.

Has anyone else come across this problem? Is there an easy fix? I imagine sending the lens to Sony for a repair would cost more than replacing it, so does anyone know of a good independent lens fixer? I'm in South Devon.

I have downloaded the service manual so I have the drawings for it, but I'm not really up to taking it apart, unless it's completely non-fixable. However, if I loosen the four screws that hold the attachment plate, then rotate the focus ring, the sticky spot is not there.

Thanks for reading, and for any advice anyone may be able to offer.
    Cheers
    Dave

2. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum.

My A350 developed a fault, and although it too was just over a year old and supposedly out of gaurantee, I managed to get it repaired free of charge.

Might be worth taking the lens back to the shop where you bought it and asking. You have nothing to lose.

Sorry can't help with the dismantling or a repair shop.

3. DaveBee

DaveBee Member

Thanks for the reply Steve. I'll try the original supplier... fingers crossed.

4. john39

john39 Well-Known Member

have you tried Photclub Alpha for advice or Camera Workshops in Milton keynes (cameraworkshop@tiscali.co.uk)? Or look on fleabay for replacement, to gauge cost and if repair worth it, then again sounds like a good excuse to upgrade - funds permitting of course

5. DaveBee

DaveBee Member

John, thanks for the recommendations, I will try those too. I would like to upgrade to the Sony/Tamron 18-250mm lens, but I can't justify shelling out £300 for one.
    In the meantime I have two old Sigma lenses, 35-70mm and 70mm-210mm from my wife's old Minolta 35mm which work fine. I just miss the 18mm wide angle for landscapes.

6. DaveG40

DaveG40 Well-Known Member

The sal18250 (18-250) is an excellent lens, but as you say it's pricey, here's a gem that goes un-noticed, but imho is almost as good as the 18-250, and it's half the price (if you can find one), Sigma 28-200

At the time i was sad to see it go (replaced by the Sony), given what's occured recently (see my other posts), I'm kinda glad i got rid of it, still if you don't go above an A380 you should be alright, I paid £120 for mine, brand new from an ebay store, I also tried the 28-300, it lasted a month (could'nt stand it), by all accounts the Sigma 18-200 is supposed to be quite good as well.

If you're shrewd & lucky it is possible to buy a new/near new kit lens (18-70) on ebay for crazy money (I paid £30 once) and it was mint/unused.

7. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

8. DaveBee

DaveBee Member

Thanks to everyone for the useful replies.
    Unfortunately the original supplier won't replace the lens as it's out of warranty, which I suppose is fair enough.
    Camera Workshops have come back to me offering to look at it for free with a ballpark figure for a repair.
    I have also found someone in my town who can possibly fix it, so I will have a chat with him first.

I have a few options now.

BTW, Gordon, I'm a bit of a fan of the Vulcan too... I took this at Yeovilton last year:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/24681889@N03/3714745080/

9. DaveG40

DaveG40 Well-Known Member

The Vulcan's tucked away nice and warm at the mo :)

10. yvaine

yvaine New Member

Hi,

My Sony lens kit has exactly the same problem as the one you describe. I was wondering if you fixed the problem and how much did it cost. Mine is out of the warranty as well and I plan to contact Sony to have it repaired as I can't afford a new one at the moment :(

Thanks a lot!

yvaine

11. DaveBee

DaveBee Member

No, it seems that the money spent fixing it will be a significant proportion of the cost of a new 18-200, so I'm just going to do that.
    Let me know if you have any luck fixing yours though... good luck.

12. yvaine

yvaine New Member

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I'm sending the lens back to Sony tomorrow. Hopefully they won't ask too much to fix it. I will keep you updated.

yvaine

13. Ed-209

Ed-209 New Member

Hi, Just noticed your original post. I know it quite old. but I have had the same problems with the DT18-70mm lens. The problem is the focus gear barrel is weak and a couple of the nylon gears teeth tear off. Easy enough fix. but you need to buy a new barrel costs about £10 inc the p&p. the strip down is a bit tricky. You will find it easier as you have the strip down instruction. I really need to get a set myself. I have fixed dozens of these lens funny enough all from sony alpha 200,300,350 must have been a bundled kit.

Any problems contact me, I will help if I can.

Cheers
    Ed.

14. Christina.13

Christina.13 New Member

Hi Ed I live in New South Wales Australia - my lens has the same problem - I was about to throw it in the bin until I read your post. CAn you give me any long distance advise on hoe to fix? Where can I get the parts you are talking about close to home? Any help appreciated.:eek:

15. Christina.13

Christina.13 New Member

Hi Ed
    Apologies for the typos. One more thought - I would even consider sending it to you in the UK if you could indicate a price to fix the lens. Many thanks Christina

16. nucnad

nucnad New Member

Dear Ed,
    I have a DT 18-70mm lens with the problem as you describe above. My particular example is an outstanding performer and I would far rather it be repaired than replace it. Would you be prepared to undertake this for me, and if so at what cost?

Regards, Iain (nucnad)

17. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

Hi Ed

Posted a comment earlier. However, I have an old Sigma 70-30mm lens that's had it's gears ripped. Any idea where I can get the manual for it and the replacement focussing ring (I think that's what has gone) or barrel?
    As the thing is caput anyway and gathering dust on a shelf, wont matter if I make a pig's ear of trying to fix it.
    Thanks.

18. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart