1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Sony 16-35mm f/4 if I've already got 24mm & 35mm ?

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by SAW, Mar 11, 2020.

1. SAW

SAW Active Member

Hi,

Recently switched to Sony from Canon. My main interest is astro but not the usual wide field stuff, I normally used 135mm or even 200mm on my Canon with a tracker but I've only got the 24mm GM for some wide field astro/milky way plus I've just picked up the Zeiss 35mm as a walk around/street. I'm unlikely to use the 24mm on a tracker, I may do. I'm not going to get a 135mm for the Sony just yet, I'm looking to build up on some other focal lengths first. I'm thinking of getting the Zeiss 55mm as another walk around/street but I'm also looking for a wide angle for landscape. Is it worth me getting the 16-35mm f/4 if I've already got the 24mm and 35mm ? Or is it worth swapping the 24mm for the 16-35mm GM ?

Thanks.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It's up to you really. I don't see that preferences transfer that well. Personally I prefer the flexibility of a zoom to primes but I regard my 16-35 (Canon) as more a speciality wide-angle than a walk-about. I use a 24 mm TSE for architecture but my next smallest prime is a 100 mm macro, then a 300 ....

SAW likes this.
  3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

We all have our individual requirements which makes your question difficult to answer. Buying anything carrying the Zeiss name is costly, have you looked at Samyang lenses? They are excellent optically and don't carry an eye-watering price tag.

SAW likes this.