1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Somewhat Disturbing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mark101, Sep 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

2. ptermx

ptermx Active Member

I grew up very near there. Even by Croydon standards, that's not a road you'd expect to get mugged on. Although not visible in their street view image, there are houses on that road and at 5pm on a weekday, there would have been regular traffic. Possibly the attack occurred in the woods, out of sight from the road. My guess is, the muggers thought he'd be a soft target and then when he resisted, beat him up for "disrespecting" them, i.e. not playing the game which is that he was supposed to just hand his gear over and make an insurance claim later.
    One thing to remember if this happens to you: a DSLR is a large heavy object. Quite useful for hitting people over the head with if necessary. One rarely-acknowledged advantage over an iPhone.

RogerMac likes this.
  3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Presumably the serial number is known. It may not get the thieves but get someone handling stolen goods.

4. Mark101

Would a Canon 5D be regarded as an offensive weapon in such circumstances ? Excuse me sir, you battered this man to death with your Canon, but did you have a valid reason for carrying it ? :confused:

5. ptermx

ptermx Active Member

Fists can also be used as offensive or defensive weapons, but strangely I don't know anyone who leaves theirs at home on the grounds that they aren't planning to beat anyone up that day.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

A friend of mine used to call his cameras Nikon Knuckledusters and with reason. I suspect anyone hit with a D850 would probably stay hit.

RogerMac likes this.
  7. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

‘He suffered bleeding, a bruised face and a damaged eye socket requiring long-term treatment.’
    I know hanging on and fighting off is the natural thing to do, but you can always buy a new camera.
    Not sure if you can buy new eyes....

8. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I usually carry a monopod with a simple magnesium alloy head on it when out and about with my camera - makes it nice and steady. The head on the monopod would be a pain if it contacted anyone's skull, and certainly leave a distinctive mark...Not that I would condone such action, but any bugger who wants my camera had best bring a packed lunch whilst I explain why they can't have it.

9. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I have a similar weapon, a Gitzo Trekpod with a pretty solid QR2 head on it - not the M. Mouse job that came with it. Conversing with a group of folks, one of whom had lost all his kit in Italy twice, I suggested the very same approach, and a retired rozzer copper fuzz filth erstwhile esteemed member of the constabulary had a look at my Trekpod, and suggested that, in fact, it would be better used by hanging onto the thick end and using it like a telescopic baton, whereupon he took said device and demonstrated some interesting moves, and gave me some basic instruction. I now agree with him wholeheartedly, and have practiced the transfer from holding it like a walking stick (what he called 'the willy hold' :eek:) to a fencing grip, instantly.

I am not sure whether to be pleased or annoyed that I have never had to employ my newfound skills. :D

10. John King

John King Well-Known Member

If anyone tries to rob you and you hit out with something you are legitimately carrying that that is fine. It is not an offensive weapon Per Se. Anyone suffering an unjust from someone attacked and clouted with an object providing the assailant does not finish up in A&E as a result of the retaliation, he is never going to report it and drop himself in the brown and sticky. Mind a robber who comes from Croydon may just be thick enough to do that.

The justified defensive strike targets are divided into three areas of the body:-

1. Red means an area which if struck with force can place the suspect in a state where he may suffer fatal injuries - principally the head.
    2. Yellow. Areas where a blow can give serious but not necessarily life threatening injuries including forearm, hand, collar bone.
    3.Green An area where the suspect will in all probability be temporarily disabled, such as the upper thigh/arm = very effective he/she will drop like a stone and if holding a weapon will stop it being used.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I recently got sent home security camera footage of someone who went down a street smashing car mirrors, the keeper of one of the vehicles went out and the vandal tried to attack him....and the vandal got put on his arse with a punch....and then the vandal attacked again....and got put on his arse with a punch again. Didn't try a third time :).

12. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

Back in my younger and much fitter days someone tried to mug me.

A young man, around the same age as me, pulled a knife and told me to hand over all my money etc.

In probably not my smartest move I told him to f**k off, this seemed to enrage him and he came up real close and put the point of the knife to my stomach and then put his face right up close to mine and said words to the effect of "Don't f**k with me, I'll f**k you up"

It was at this point I head butted him as hard as I could on his nose, he fell to the ground, dropped the knife and was writhing on the floor holding his face/nose and screaming.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Gezza, John Farrell and AndyTake2 like this.
  13. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

When I lived in Leith that used to happen a lot to the cars in our street, usually happened at the end of the month at night after kicking out time, we once saw the guy doing it however calling the police was useless as they said they had no one available to attend and eventually turned up 4 hours later

daft_biker likes this.
  14. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Victor Blackman once said that a camera could be used as a flail in emergencies but if one used a Leica it should continue to work

15. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Ah! Victor Blackman. I used to so look forward to his articles.Have a few books of his on the shelf.

16. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I hope I would never have to use anything I carry as a weapon - including the monopod.
    Back in the day I would hopefully have been able to defend myself reasonably, but physically I am not that man any more. Using a monopod as a means of defence would probably mean that it was confiscated for evidence purposes, which would make me a bit miffed. Imagine using a D850 and a 400mm prime - that would really be a shocker if it got taken as evidence! (no, I don't own such a combo!)
    There have been a couple of times whilst out and about that I have seen a couple of dodgy looking characters who I was suspicious of eyeing up the camera gear. A look is usually enough to let them know that you are aware of them, and I guess it makes them wonder if it is going to be worth it. At 70 years old I guess they wouldn't perceive me in the same way they do now, which is the age the guy in the article was.

Using a monopod to defend oneself is something that could be learned. Whilst learning martial arts we had the option to do several weapons (it was compulsory later for those who reached black belt) and one option I took was Eskrima - Filipino stick fighting. The head end of a monopod would be a hindrance in some cases with this technique, as swipes, jabs, breaks and holds are the order of the day.
    ...Mind you, I'd probably need a sit down and some diazepam afterwards:p

17. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I had several grands worth of camera equipment stolen in 2018 when we had a break-in. All serial numbers were given to the police and around all the second-hand/pawn shops in a 10mile radius. Nothing was ever found.

I even registered with the websites that scan the internet for serial numbers saved in the photographs profile for matching numbers from stolen cameras. Nothing there either. So whoever stole the cameras didn't sell them to anyone whose uploading images from the cameras.

Agree with AndyTake2 that a monopod makes for a good weapon. I learnt to fight with quarterstaffs many years ago and my Manfrotto monopod is perfect for that style of combat and a decent head or camera on the end makes it into a notorious weighted staff!

18. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes, his club Croydon CC circulated a full list of everything with numbers. It was all insured.

19. Mark101

Just for the record, my remark about a Canon 5D being classified as an offensive weapon was to tongue in cheek. However, if the police officer happened to be a Nikon user he/she just might slap the cuffs on.

20. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Or try to get you sectioned!