1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Something I found interesting

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Interesting. I think you must be right about having to have brickwork. I imagine it breaks up the facade nicely from the front view. It doesn't do much for it as a side view.

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

It's not bad. I just wonder what it does to the view from the inside.
    0155cess.jpg

Catriona likes this.
  3. Catriona

Make them work harder? ;)

SXH likes this.
  4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Some more interesting brickwork for Catriona:
    40259ces.jpg
    and
    40261c1es.jpg

The second one (I think they are by the same builder, going by the use of the horizontal lines of angled bricks) annoys me a bit. It's a good effort of making a dull wall more interesting, but the window ruins the symmetry and the spacing of the lower patterns (DNA fragments? ;)) means they don't line up with the diamonds. Well, it irritates me!

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Here's another way to use up a few odd bricks...

End of terrace Exeter Road Exmouth P1010017.JPG

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Saw this when doing my weekly shop this morning (the young chap running the Pretzel Bar didn't mind me taking a pic):
    40271cess.jpg

Triply interesting -
    It's sideways...
    ...in two languages, and...
    ...it's a firmware error; never seen that before - the other screen, presumably the same system, was working fine. Mind you, thinking back, many years ago one of the bus-station screens spent some time displaying an Amiga 'Guru Meditation' error!

7. Catriona

The book I'm reading is set in the 11th century. A bell is being cast for the church tower (interesting) but another thing was how the protestant minister would not allow the tolling of a bell for a funeral.
    This made me look into the tolling of bells and finding out about a 'passing' bell for when someone is dying, followed by the death knell when someone had died, then the lych bell tolled at the funeral.
    I've not been aware of any bells here apart from those tolled at service time on a Sunday.
    Any of you know of different traditions where you are?

8. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I can bore for England on the subject of bells, Catriona - I'll do so when I'm not at work or I on't get anything done!

Is 11th century a typo? That seems about 500 years early for Protestantism.

9. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

Went to Sheffield today - found this interesting...
    IMG_1622w.jpg
    Charles Street, Sheffield. iPhone

10. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Active Member

[​IMG]