1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Something I found interesting

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Sep 25, 2018.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Very good.

Dan S likes this.
  2. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

A scientific (or technological) one...
    [​IMG]
    Before and After
    by SteveH, on Flickr

The effect of freshly boiled water on M&S salad containers. It would seem they are hot pressed from flat sheets of plastic.

Hmmm, maybe this should be in the Quarantine pictures thread... :confused:

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Left a box of garden lights in the tool shed last year. Turns out someone found the box tasted nice...

Cardboard box eaten by something TZ70 P1030580.JPG

5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

The staff at Stonehenge have been busy today, rearranging the stones ready for the start of BST.

91051147_2549259171994139_704283355604058112_n.jpg

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Just noticed this:
    MO.jpg

Twice as many bots as members? And a heck of a lot of 'guests'. I wonder how many will sign up...

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It’s been like that every day as far back as I can remember. Just be careful what you write, it is being added by a robot to a dossier somewhere!

There is a steady trickle of new members. I think many head to the galleries rather than the forum.

8. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Good lord, you mean there are sensible people out there?

S

spinno likes this.
  9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

No I'm here:rolleyes:

steveandthedogs likes this.
  10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

17 : 122 : 35? I'd expect the last 2 numbers to be reversed at least. Mind you, robot blocking might have got a lot better than when I did these statistics for filthy lucre. :D

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

And that's Numberwang! :D

12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

When I used to import pictures via an interface (the new one) and SD card, I noticed the mg size was smaller than expected. Now I'm importing direct from the camera (which was getting twitchy about loading the SD card back in again) - I'm finding the mb size is much bigger.
    So am I getting more pixels loaded - or am I loading camera extra data each time?

13. PeteRob

Should be the same if it is simple file transfer. Files can vary quite a lot in size depending on the subject, the more fine detail the larger the file.

14. Catriona

Yes, I know that, but the difference appears significant to me.

15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I got banned from Facebook. The interesting bit is my account was reinstated, but my activity will be 'supervised' for 30 days. This happened shortly after I posted some criticism of the government. Keeping an eye out for a van with blacked out windows at the end of the lane.

16. PeteRob

The only way a significant change can take place is if some compression was being applied. What were you importing to? I've rarely used a card reader, a USB cable is much easier, but either way the files are just copied from the camera to the hard-disk. I don't see how the file size can change if it is the same camera, image format, camera settings and similar subject matter. Assuming these are jpgs could you have changed the camera default compression ?

Catriona likes this.
  17. Catriona

I've just remembered it's a new SD card. Maybe that's the difference.

18. PeteRob

Don’t see how. It is just a container for the files, it can’t affect their size.

19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Noticed this on my walk this morning.
    30960cess.jpg
    Never seen it before - the 'candle' of flowers on a horse chestnut tree (the last foot or so of a branch) I think.

Considering the area is chokka with horse chestnut trees...

Catriona likes this.