1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Something I found interesting

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Sep 25, 2018.

1. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

In the window of a secondhand bookshop . . . . . The Romance of Modern Photography by Charles R Gibson, published in 1910. :)

DSC1393 Bookshelf.jpg

alfbranch, Gezza and Catriona like this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Pretty weighty tomes! Did you buy them?

3. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

No, a bit too weighty for me!

I was wondering were the 'romance' came in though! :)

Catriona likes this.
  4. Catriona

I guess it's that inner satisfaction of getting it right! Pipe dreams. :)

AlanW likes this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Here's a couple of books I bought about 10 years ago - both volumes of the Modern Encyclopedia of Photography from 1938. As you can tell from the picture I haven't read the entry on depth of field yet...

Modern Encyclopedia of Photography A65 DSC03431.JPG

alfbranch and Catriona like this.
  6. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  7. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The ladder in the tree does display a certain determination!

10. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

They've got me wondering whether they ever met George & Ashley Abraham, the great Lake District photograhers. I do hope so - I can imagine that a splendid evening of thoroughly enjoyable note-comparing would have taken place!

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I told my son about this last night and be had heard more (lots on the internet) I liked that they had a hollowed out, stuffed Ox that they used to use either as a prop or cover. There is a photo of one of them passed out while carrying it, Ox on its back and 6 legs in the air. https://images.app.goo.gl/Tn17J4wHrSenVa3d9

12. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I found this in the street - from a distance and with my dodgy eyesight, it looked like a £1 coin.
    Euro10c.jpg
    On closer examination, because it appears to have IR on the back, I assumed it was Irish and wondered who the woman was - some Irish goddess or other? So it was off to Google. Actually, it's RI, it's Italian and the woman is Venus, from Botticelli's the Birth Thereof. So I did a bit more digging.

Between 2002 and 2010, 1,863,851,000 of these coins were issued. In fact, in the same period, a total of 21,384,367,255 coins were minted in Italy.
    No figures by year for the UK, but apparently, in 2016, there were 30,139,000,000 coins estimated to be in circulation. Allowing for lost coins and further issues, there must be even more in circulation in Italy.

That's a lot of metal!

Fishboy and AlanW like this.
  13. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff - I've just discovered that the 'CM' between two of the stars refers to Claudia Momoni, who did the engraving for that side of the coin.

The other side was engraved by Luc Luycx, hence the tiny 'LL' to the right of the zero in the number 10.

I also learned that the copper alloy from which the coin is made is known as 'Nordic Gold'.

Incidentally, the 'RI' stands for for Repubblica Italiana,

Thanks for sharing that - I've learned something new today!

Cheers, Jeff

SXH and Catriona like this.
  14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

On the subject of Nordic Gold, there is quite an (unintentionally) amusing thread on the subject on one of the numismatism(?) sites.

And you thought some people on this forum were nit-pickers!

15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Not so much of a nit picker, more of a pleasant plucker:rolleyes:

16. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Got some funny looks taking this, a photograph of a photograph with rubbish bags in front . . . . . . when I only had to turn 90 degrees to photograph the real thing :)

DSC0265 #1.jpg

17. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

But is it art? As at the end of the day, it is a load of rubbish.:)

Catriona, AlanW and AndyTake2 like this.
  18. Catriona

That's probably what they said when it was built. ;)

Andrew Flannigan and AlanW like this.
  19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Bleedin' rich geezers swanning in here and building their bleedin' mansions all over our beauty spots. :p

Catriona likes this.
  20. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

This woman has hut moving powers

[​IMG]huts loose by Dan, on Flickr