1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something I found interesting

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I saw an extreme military camper conversion going through Chester the other week. Can't tell you what it was, though I remember it had what looked like the name of the conversion company on the back. It was a 6 wheeler and the overhang at the back was angled to give extreme off-road clearance. Towered above our XC-70 - reckon it would easily got through 5' of water without getting the doors wet. In military green paint but civvy plates so pretending. Chassis length probably a bit less than a fire engine. Driving it must take some care not to ride over smaller vehicles. They had little trouble with other traffic even though it was quite busy.

3. PeteRob

Although a standard steel skip has fill lines I think that you can get away with a fill that allows them to net it with assurance that nothing will fall off. They are very strong. The woven bags I'd guess they have to be much more careful about overloading in case there is something sharp inside. If the bag splits during handling then that is both dangerous and a time-wasting clean-up operation. They are plenty strong enough for sand/gravel deliveries but I'd not be that confident they could take mixed waste safely without some serious care in loading.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

There was a bloke in Mid-Devon who trundled around in a grey DUKW during (I think) the 1970s. Given the driving position I couldn't help but wonder how worry inducing that must have been for the cars he got behind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DUKW

5. NickM

NickM Well-Known Member

Annoying that it's never your own 2CV or mattress though.:D

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

If your skip is over full, just shout and I'll get my dad to walk past. I guarantee it won't be over full after.

Catriona likes this.
  7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

The upside down 2CV could in fact be the skip.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

With a big hole in the bottom.

9. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

A dress made from CD's outside a Shelter shop in Edinburgh . . . . . . . not sure if it's available in vinyl o_O

DSC6084 CD Dress.jpg

Catriona likes this.
  10. dream_police

Sounds comfortable. I wonder if they have underpants in the same style?

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Just watch out for the hole in the middle wouldn't want anything falling through....:rolleyes:

12. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Speaking of CDs, did you ever see that amazing guy who could tell you what every piece of classical music was just by looking at the grooves on an LP? I wonder how he earns a living now?

beatnik69 likes this.
  13. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Back in the day, I used to enjoy finding messages scratched into vinyl records on the run out part next to the label :)

14. dream_police

Me too.

AlanW likes this.
  15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Saw this this morning...
    30724cess.jpg
    Apart from probably being somebody's mid-life cricycle (© Roger's Profanisaurus), it's a Yamaha of some sort. Some variety of Roadstar? Anyone positively identify it? Tried Google images, but there are thousands that look like it, but not exactly.

16. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

17. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Thank you.

18. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

On my stroll yesterday. . . . . . don't think they've quite grasped the concept! ;)

DSC7530 Mixed peppers.jpg

Catriona likes this.
  19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Staines Bridge (on the Staines side) has 3 or 4 arches between the river and the road junction. By the stairs up to the road, there is...

30741ces.jpg

...a door. To where/what?

Not just interesting, but intriguing.

20. PeteRob

A small saving if you like peppers. By our local Tesco rules - that would be 1 for 79p, 2 for £1.70 (or more) - as an offer. You do have to calculate. Good price though.