1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest,

Apologies for the issues that you may be experiencing with the AP forum. While not ideal, it is reported that access can be gained by using Internet Explorer or MS Edge browsers. Hopefully normal access will be restored though perhaps not until Monday.
    Dismiss Notice

Something I found interesting

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I take a lot of photographs of 'things that made me want to take a photograph' but I'm not quite sure I found them 'interesting' aside from perhaps, purely visually. Take your shot for instance. I probably would have taken it too. It's not necessarily 'interesting' to see two birds on an aerial (had to type that three times because I've been working on a logo and trying to persuade my client to ditch the arial font and that's all I could get my fingers to type) but the shapes and the very even blue blackground are definitely pleasing.

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

180908-Helensburgh-018d.jpg

Here you go then. I'd never put it up in Appraisals because I already know about the flare and the messy background and splodges on the ground and the leaning buildings and the lens distortion. And I don't care. I find these market stall frames sans red and yellow awnings/people/produce to be fascinating. Better again when the sun shines through 'em.

contax wide boy and EightBitTony like this.
  4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

180908-Helensburgh-004.jpg
    And sometimes things just please me.

EightBitTony likes this.
  5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

YES!

This is the sort of thing I love to shoot too. Or maybe not even to shoot: just to look at. It reminds me of at least three beautiful things I've seen already today: all shadows, as it happens.

Most of us can see what's important in a picture, and ignore the dull stuff: "the flare and the messy background and splodges on the ground and the leaning buildings and the lens distortion." And we don't care either. Or maybe we do. It's called "mood" or "feeling" or "everyday beauty" rather than "camera club prissiness."

And it helps remind us that there is beauty (almost) everywhere, as long as we don't try to meet straitjacketed ideas of what "good" photography "should" look like.

Cheers,

R.

alfbranch likes this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Yes human; you may worship me...

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1011539.JPG

Lindsay Pennell, Trannifan and Geren like this.
  7. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I was sitting in the pub when one of the staff came around to light the candles on the tables - I hadn't noticed, but a few of the tables - including mine - didn't have candles, they had these instead:

[​IMG]Fireflies by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

I liked the colour through the glass, I liked the reflection on the table and I found the general effect pleasing. A photograph that isn't for appraisal or competition - it's one I took just because I liked it!

Cheers, Jeff

8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Lest we forget that photography is for all, even those with straightjacketed ideas of what photography should look like. ;)

9. Andrew Flannigan

That is true.

Just as many people want record shots...

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1011543.JPG

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

That's not a record, that's a helicopter.

THIS is a record shot:

[​IMG]

11. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Call that a record? THIS
    is a record.

MickLL

12. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Mick,

Ya, boo, hiss, crackle...

Cheers,

R.

13. Andrew Flannigan

Like man - who wants the vinyl? It's all in a cassette. Get with the programme: it's like far out and really cool...

Panasonic TZ70 8GB H06 P1030069.JPG

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I still have loads of cassettes - possibly even that one. Well, not that particular one, but one of its clones... and Christmas, for anyone who wants to know when I last played one.

15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I knew I was getting old when I had to explain what an audio cassette tape was to my children.

16. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

My daughter, as well as buying vinyl, has also bought some old tapes. I wonder how long it'll be before they are wrapped around the heads?

17. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Where do I start? Most of my pictures are of things I found 'interesting' - even the 'arty' stuff!

AP²001003.jpg
    Anyone for an ice?

AP²001035.jpg

Most of the snaps I've posted elsewhere on AP are, as far as I'm concerned, carry the epithet 'interesting'. Just look at the intro to this months comp!

Lynn

Tony Britton likes this.
  18. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

mushroom-web.jpg

I tripped over it in my garden.

S

EightBitTony likes this.
  19. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

180929-Helensburgh-010.jpg
    It was very windy yesterday. The gulls weren't keen on flying unless they had to and evidently didn't want their feathers ruffled either. I was also interested in the way that I've managed to make the carpark look utterly deserted. In truth, this bit was very empty, but then this is the bit you have to pay for. The more extreme reaches, which are free, were pretty much choked.

Tony Britton, EightBitTony and AlanW like this.
  20. Andrew Flannigan

A "Maigret style" Citroen parked at the Sidmouth Conservative Club yesterday...

Panasonic G2 8GB H06 P1210475.JPG