1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Something for New Photographers

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Brendan1980, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Brendan1980

Brendan1980 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Loving the magazine, I'm learning a lot. As a complete Newbie though, I get confuse sometimes by the terminology. Maybe a section for absolute beginners would be good. Something that runs from the very start, explaining everything in laymans terms?

Keep up the good work.

2. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

The issue here is that a "beginners section" would need to restart & repeat at frequent intervals, which would quickly become boring, especially to those of us who think we know what we're doing. The last thing I'd want from AP is to degenerate into the sort of thing that many photo mags have become, where you can deduce the entire content except for the adverts from the publication date alone.

A short insert (seperate to the magazine proper) or perhaps a special undated issue published in parallel to rather than instead of the ordinary mag would however be worth considering.

3. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Hi Brendan,

They do already have something running, the "AP GLOSSARY" which is on the "AskAP" pages of the magazine.

4. photogeek

photogeek Well-Known Member

Why not do a beginners special, it could cover things like shutter speeds, aperture, ISO Raw v Jpg, focal length, focal length mulipliers (field of view) etc. Need not go into too much depth but give some examples and tips.

It could be an Add in to AP or even a special or part work, but then post it on here so it can - be referred to for new "new beginners" and refreshed to keep any relevant bits up to date technology wise.

I think it would be helpful and I have gained a much better understanding of photography from AP .

:)

5. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

Or else buy a book or get one from the library?

6. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

You beat me to it and hey I'm always recommending the good old book. So instead of AP doing a beginners section or doing a special edition. Just have a box saying something like ( If you need to ask why not get a book ).

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

And if a book seems like too much trouble (and I'm not being facetious here - sometimes there are so many darn books out there it's hard to know where to start) you could always try looking something up on Youtube. Different people learn in different ways and I for one find reading the manual for my camera a dead loss. I do much better when I'm shown how to do something instead of reading about it so I find video tutorials very helpful indeed - for all sorts of things from camera settings, speedlite demonstrations, lighting set-ups the works.

8. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

I replied to a poster on another forum inquiring about a broken pin in the card reader of a Canon 350. I told her it should be easy enough to fix herself. So just to make sure I youtubed it and it wasn't. That's the thing with video tutorials can be easy or hard.

The OP here is asking for advice for beginners and all books for beginners will give the same advice. As the OP is prepared to read the AP then so should he/she be encouraged to read a book. Though living in the digital age is the net our sole source of information. Most likely it is though it seems a shame.

9. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

^^^^^^

WHS :)

Sorry newbs, that's "what he said" :) Only kidding folks, not being sarcastic....

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I wasn't really suggesting that the OP shouldn't read books - just that there are alternative sources of information that can be equally accessible. As I say, different people learn in different ways and while a book might be great for one person, it might not be the best thing for someone else. Depends on the topic too. Don't dismiss the internet as a learning resource - it shouldn't be books OR the net - there's no reason why people can't use both!

11. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree with you and I do use the net as a source of information myself. Though mainly for photoshop as photography is relatively easy. PS is not well not for me anyway but I did use books first. Probably as I hadn't thought of youtube. I taught myself about photography using books didn't do a good job but that's my problem. Whatever floats our boats as the actress said to the photographer. That should have been a bishop at least he came with a Canon.

12. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Yes, the net has the great benefit of accessibility - and it tends to be cheaper than buying books and having them delivered, or even just transporting yourself to the library unless you live right next door to one.

However, I find that handling a real book has something about it that makes it easier to remember information read from it. Sorry but an electronic book (Kindle) just doesn't cut it for me. Maybe it's because there were very few computers outside major research labs when I was a student, even TV sets were something of a rarity; but I think the easy functionality is part of the process - no distraction from complicated multi-mode controls.

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The other thing, of course, is that anyone can set themselves up as an authority on the net, and so you do have to be a little careful as to which sources you choose - and that's tricky if you've not got the knowledge to sort them out to start with...

14. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

But there are some pretty dodgy sources in print, too ... including some with very long track records ...

15. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Ah, now, I agree about the "real book" versus "e-reader" when it comes to a text book. It's so much easier to flip between diagrams and chapters etc with a real text book in your hands. But there are some things that I find hard to digest in written form, and can get my head around much quicker if I see someone do it in front of me...or in a video.

There's just as much guff written in book form as there is on the net - but you don't necessarily know a book is full of guff until you've paid for it and read it. Five minutes of video clip may well end up being no use to you at all but other than use of your broadband, you've invested very little else.

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

True, but somehow, it's easier to get book recommendations that people agree on than site recommendations.

17. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

I've just reread the OPs post and he mentions starting form the very start using laymans terms. On the net he'd be lost in an instant. Any book on photography for beginners will easily be picked up from any library. Problem might be will it be easy to find a library.

18. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

Bryan Peterson "Understanding Exposure"

19. John_Black

John_Black Member

The problem with including items for beginners in the magazine is that the majority of readers stay with the magazine for years. Some of us remember Victor Blackman:eek:. Beginners would have to be catered for with each issue with similar material. The AP web site would be a better place to cater for beginners by having a "beginners resource section". This could be filled with all the glossary items and beginners articles.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012