1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soligor 28mm f/2.8 Wide-Auto lens. What bayonet mount?

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by nf3996, Dec 5, 2019.

1. nf3996

nf3996 Well-Known Member

Can anyone identify the bayonet mount in the pictures of this Soligor 28mm f/2.8 Wide-Auto lens, please? I acquired the lens as a freebie in a box of odds and ends. it appears to be in good condition. If I can find out what bayonet mount it is I'd like to search for a suitable adapter to use it one of my Fuji mirrorless cameras, but at the moment I'm stumped.

soligor 28mm f2_8 01.jpg soligor 28mm f2_8 02.jpg soligor 28mm f2_8 03.jpg soligor 28mm f2_8 04.jpg

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I think this is a T4 interchangeable mount lens. Soligor sold lenses with interchangeable mounts, the basis being that should you change the camera you could keep your lens and simply replace the mount, Tamron did the same thing more successfully, but Tamron mounts do not fit Soligor lenses. Soligor were probably one of the better independent lens sellers. To use this you would need to track a T4 mount down and then add a suitable adaptor for your Fuji. Obviously you may already have the latter so if this is the case that would be the T4 to source (Ebay?).

4. nf3996

nf3996 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the link to the bayonet mount photos and for the information about Soligor's T4 mounts. Yes, it does look like a Miranda bayonet, and probably a T4 mount too. I've tracked down a Miranda bayonet/Fuji X adapter, so when that arrives I hope I'll be able to put this old lens to a new use.

5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

6. nf3996

nf3996 Well-Known Member

Thank you. Yes, that's the one. The T4 mount user manual has been especially helpful - I've learnt how to remove (and install) the mount.

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I've never used a T4 mount lens, but the first additional lens I purchased (in 1974) to use on a film SLR was a Soligor 200mm F 4.5 with a T2 mount and a 'pre-set' aperture. There was no linkage from the camera body to the lens to close the aperture when the shutter fired, just a ring around the lens barrel so that you could do this just before taking the shot (so the viewfinder image would be dark if you used F8, for example).

I don't know if you can buy a T4 mount for your Fuji body: you may have to buy a T4 adaptor in another (older type) mount and use an adaptor with that on your Fuji body. If so, an M42 screw thread mount (the lens fitting used by old Pentax cameras) and M42 to Fuji adaptor may be least expensive route. It is possible that arrangement may not have any linkages to the lens to close the aperture, so will be working in a similar way to what I describe above.

Also, the depth of field markings on the lens will be for 35 mm 'full frame' camera bodies: you can only use these as a guide because the depth of field should be deeper on a half frame (APS-C) camera body.

See this SRB website page (I have used this retailer myself).

www.srb-photographic.co.uk/fuji-x-lens-adaptors-1173-c.asp

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It's probably a matter of sourcing whatever T4 mount can be found!

Iirc there were other manufacturers did sell T4 mount lenses. Sun? springs to mind and for some reason Vivitar.

9. nf3996

nf3996 Well-Known Member

I've found and ordered a Miranda bayonet/Fuji XF bayonet adapter online. If that doesn't work, my Plan B is to replace the T4 Miranda mount with another T4 mount and use that via the approrpiate Fuji XF adapter.