1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soft Proofing - Rendering Intent

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Steven Michaels, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Steven Michaels

Steven Michaels New Member

Hi all,

I've just been reading about soft proofing as I want to start printing my photos.

I understand soft proofing and how perceptual and relative affect the colours of the image. However, I was confused as to how this information was relayed to the printers as it doesn't make a difference when I export my photo after selecting either relative or perceptual.

I contacted Loxley Colour and they told me that they 'use perceptual rendering intent for everything in the lab' and so I should choose this option when soft proofing.

I guess I'm confused as to why every help video I've seen (even when talking about sending off photos to print labs) says to select the rendering intent you prefer when soft proofing and doesn't mention specifying your choice to the print lab.

Are people aware of this? Are there print labs that do let you choose which rendering intent to use?

Thanks!

2. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Ibelieve that the rendering intent is only used when actually printing. When you send off to Loxely you are just sending a file from your pc to their server. When software on their server sends the file to their printer it will apply the rendering intent.
    Could be wrong but that is my assumption.
    W

Steven Michaels likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It’s really only an issue if you have out-of-gamut colours. Perceptual generally gives the most pleasing result. Relative goes (from memory - might be wrong) to the nearest colour which might not be right.

I print my own pics and I’ve only once had a serious out-of-gamut problem which, once I realised what the problem was, I fixed using soft-proofing. I can’t remember what the rendering intent was set to but I can’t say I have really noticed any effect on the image.

The softproof should show where the out of gamut colours are, you can then selectively edit saturation/hue to bring them into a reproducible range. The issue I had was the colour of a blue football shirt. I thought the cyan ink had blocked (it is usually the first to go) and spent ages cleaning the printer before I twigged it was a really peculiar gamut clash.

Steven Michaels likes this.