1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

So who uses which printer?

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by gray1720, Mar 29, 2020.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

One of the many things I must do once some kind of normality resumes is to replace my printer. It's developed the notorious Canon "Your printer has a problem" fault, and works properly now about every one in five attempts.

So... who uses what, and would you or would you not recommend it?

My usage is mostly printing random carp, but I do print a few photos on it when the mood takes me - I guess I could use one of the many online services for the latter, but it is handy to be able to print the occasional document off.

Ta!

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

For the office I have an HP 3in1 that was work issued for home working and which they let me keep when I retired. Bombproof, it will duplex print A4 reports all day long. It is near the end of its page life now. Can’t read the LCD controller touch screen anymore and I had trouble getting original ink for it last time I ran out. The replacement ink I got smudges terribly. I’ll buy an equivalent when it finally dies. It is an Office Jet Pro 8600 Plus .....

For photos I have a Canon Pixma Pro 9500 mkii bought probably in 2009. Works well. The only issue is underuse makes the inks dry up (especially cyan). I’ve been staring at it all last week telling myself to turn it on, as it hasn’t been used this year which is a 1/4 passed for goodness sake!

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I haven't used a printer this year either. It'll come I suppose, I'm not in the right frame of mind currently and I would suppose that I am not alone.

5. PeteRob

Yes there is that, you are not alone. I've got to finish a report by the end of February and it isn't looking good with the end of March 2 days away. It is amazing that ten minutes of almost typing sends me fast asleep, my "system" totally rejects the task in front of me - that is not a good sign. Accountability is fast approaching.

Back to printing - being incapable of taking pictures worth printing also doesn't help. Quality aside, the quantity is down - LR says only 65 pics this year so far - last ones March 8th.

6. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Oki colour laser C532DN, I don't print many photos, most of my printing is for model railway projects, for this one big advantage is being able to print up to 4' /1.2M long "banner paper" ideal for scenic backgrounds (found some free downloads); I've edited some of these adding cattle or sheep in a field or a tractor
    BSplus.jpg

next printing scale brick and stone images on A4 label stock to stick onto card for buildings, the building walls then being cut from the card in a plotter cutter; then assembled the same as a cmmercial kit; there are a couple of commercial kits in this image; things like windows and doors I prefer to buy as brass etches similarly small scenic items such as a greenhouse (etch) or garden shed (cast) (some smaller items now available as 3D printed)
    xmpl2.jpg

another use is printing clear polyester with scale coach sides of ones not produced by manufacturers, this image is done in Picture Publisher, then scaled down to 1:148 and others added to make an A4 sheet, a side advantage is I can make a set with running numbers all different irncldres.jpg One thing I've found working on images like this and rescaling is to use tif's rather than jpg's only reverting to smaller file size jpg when uploading to forums etc.

EightBitTony likes this.
  7. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Canon IP8700 series, it says here.

Lovely results. If you get one and use Photoshop set the colour handling to photoshop manages colours and rendering intent to perceptual. On mine, at least.

S

ps try Permajet Lustre 310 for paper - magic! Mind you, some of their other papers are a bit good as well.

8. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

I’ve been using an Epson scp800 for about 3 years, it replaced a 3800. Really easy to set up and great results, especially B&W. Doesn’t appear to have the head problems of previous Epsons.

9. gray1720

Interesting... It's an IP8750 that I'm looking forward to hurling into a skip with great vigour!

10. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

When I did print photos at home, which was not often, I found the whole process frustrating with too many errors requiring reprints. I now use some of the mail service labs.

11. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

That's what I have. When I get it right, I'm happy with the results, but the driver settings are a real faff compared with the Epson R3000 I had previously.

12. EightBitTony

So lockdown fever has me looking at photo printers. You'd not recommend the IP8750 then, seems like a good price for A3 and I don't want to invest £400+ on a printer.

13. PeteRob

That's less than 4 sets of ink for me!

14. gray1720

I do beg your pardon - it turns out it's an iP7250 I have - what's really embarassing is that it would have been under my feet at my desk when I typed that...

EightBitTony likes this.
  15. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I doubt if there is really that much difference.

On the other hand, you aren't using it like a Purma are you? Trying to get different effects by turning it on its side?

S

16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

What's more embarrassing is not being able to see one's feet....

17. gray1720

I wonder how many of us would know what the flip you're on about there, but it got a loud hoot out of me!

No danger of that, I've lost about half a stone and haven't been this slim since my twenties - seen more fat on a garden rake!

18. EightBitTony

So quite a lot online about the IP8750 black and whites having a heavy magenta cast.

I just can't justify anything more expensive.

19. PeteRob

It must be due to be replaced/phased out as the going new price is £199.

Colour casts shouldn’t happen if printing is colour managed and the print heads are clean. It is possible to get custom ICC profiles made for independent papers. I’ve sometimes wondered about having it done for my printer as I don’t use a huge number of papers but I’ve never bothered. However, I don’t do mono work where it would show up. The most problematic colour on my printer is cyan, it is the first colour to block up if the printer isn’t used for a while, that produces horribly pink skies. I believe that the colour inks are still used for mono printing, even when grey is present.

This week’s AP letter response about Canon printers “always” having a warm or pink cast and recommending using printer manages colours with the user controlling seems a bit odd. I think it is really advising against using built in printer “effects” to boost colours, like applying presets in processing. In the manual vs colour managed debate Roger Hicks always recommended manually adjusting printer colours but I suspect he really, really knew what he was doing.

20. EightBitTony

Yup and I won't be able to afford the replacement ;)