1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, who has any of the British cameras in this week's AP?

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by gray1720, Jan 4, 2020.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I think I have three of the models represented - a Purma Speed, a blue Ensign Ful-vue and an Ilford Advocate. The latter, sadly is broken, and likely to stay that way unless I find a donor.

I fear I am unlikely ever to own a Wrayflex or a Witness!

Anyone else?

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've not tried a Witness but I've handled both the earlier (mirror viewing) and later (pentaprism) versions of the Wrayflex. Neither impressed me and I had a Pentacon Fm at the time!

gray1720 likes this.
  3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I've seen an Ilford Witness, but I wasn't allowed to touch it!

If you want to try having a play with it yourself, it's currently on sale at the Real Camera Shop in Manchester for a very reasonable £12,000!!!

Cheers, Jeff

4. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I have an Ensign Ful-vue.

gray1720 likes this.
  5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Fornicate me, that's pricey!

6. William Parker

William Parker Well-Known Member

I have a Reid III. It's pic has already been posted on here.

7. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

They know how to charge in that shop , and depending on your appearance the price can vary widely ( or wildly !).
    They have a lot of gear though .

8. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

They also have a policy of only accepting card payments - both credit and debit cards - for amounts over £100. The last time I was there I was buying a Kodak Retina II which was priced at something like £65 but when I found I only had £60 cash in my wallet and offered to pay on my debit card I was smartly given my marching orders!

Cheers, Jeff

9. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Whenever I've been in there it's always cash only regardless of the amount or you apperence .
    The few things I've bought of higher value has had me calling around to the cash machine near the bus station .
    Needless to say I don't like using those machines getting a large quantity of money out in a crowded area .
    I'm not sure if that banks there now though , so drawing money out would be a pain now .
    Almost like they don't want it .......

The only place I tend to go on town is LCE on Cross street .
    They tend to have a reasonable range of used gear in , no film gear though , generally .
    A big bonus is I can look on their website to see what they have before I go .
    I've traded unused lenses and cameras with them quite often and happy with the deal I've done , and most importantly , walked away not feeling like I've been ripped off !
    Needless to say they take cards for any amount , what a novel idea !
    Just like a normal shop .