1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, where's all the 35mm 100ASA colour print film gone then ?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by peterg22, Aug 28, 2005.

1. peterg22

peterg22 Well-Known Member

After messing around with digital for a while, I recently came back into the fold and bought a cheap SLR. I'd previously owned a Nikon FM2 which I handed over to my daughter for Uni (bad move - I really miss that camera). Just lately, I've been trying to buy 35mm 100 ASA colour print film and just can't find *any* (in the High Street). The general opinion is that 200 ASA's fine and 400 ASA is the norm - so what happened ? Did I miss something ?

My main reason for wanting that speed of film is that I shoot a lot of flowers and believe that 100 ASA would give me the extra sharpness: am I right in thinking this ?

2. LenShepherd

LenShepherd Well-Known Member

First try Boots!
    Second there is negligible quality difference between 100, 200 and 400 ASA print film.
    Nothing to do with the question, but there is an enormous quality difference between 100 and 200 ASA slide film.

3. 0

0 Guest

<picky>It's 100 ISO.</picky>. I think my local Asda has a variety of colour print film (though I shoot mainly transparency which they don't have!) so it is still about if you look hard enough. That said, I think that emulsion improvements mean that a modern 200 will be as sharp as 100 used to be a few years back.

Welcome to the forums, BTW, we're (mostly) a friendly bunch, so make yourself comfortable.

And a word of warning: expect bad words from BigWill if you post flower pics - he doesn't like ferking flowers! :D

Steve

4. peterg22

peterg22 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.. Yeah, maybe I need to experiment with my '200 brands a bit then.. I found the Fuji was consistently a bit on the "cold" side, although once it's on CD I can easily warm it up a bit. As far as the flower thing goes, *sigh*, I very rarely get to photograph people, although with a bit of luck this may change very soon ;)

5. Wyeman

Wyeman Well-Known Member

Peter
    You have your prints put to CD. May I ask where you take them to be processed and what resolution do you get them done as? I have big trouble finding anyone to produce better than 1500 x 1200 ish.
    Peter

6. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

I always find any film I have put onto CD in the High Street appalling. They have all their sharpness/saturation settings on maximum and the resolution is always too low, unless you pay a fortune. Another reason for my D70...

7. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

<very picky> Actually it's ISO 100.</very picky> ;-)

[So called because it's 90x less frustrating than ISO 9000? :)]

8. 0

0 Guest

You've suffered it too then, Huw? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. tzunder

tzunder Active Member

I have recently been looking at some very nice high saturation prints at www.rangefinder.com that were taken on Agfa Ultra 100. Has anyone here tried that film and what do they think?

I see that it and all other films are very cheap at 7dayshop (use google).

10. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

I still have the brick wall-shaped indentations in my forehead! :)

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

In view of the fact that ISO and ASA standards are supposedly identical where film speed is concerned it isn't being picky it is being pedantic. However the good thing is that ISO adopting the ASA standard killed off DIN film speeds.

To be even more pedantic, it is 100 ISO not ISO 100. ISO 100 is the reference to ISO standard 100 as in the dreaded ISO 9000. 100 ISO is 100 speed according to the ISO standard, whose number I don't know.

Any way 100ASA film is still available but you need to look for it, try .......Jessops......... where I recently say three packs for Fuji 100 film. I think I have seen it in Boots too.

12. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Better tell the film manufacturers then, because it's always printed as 'ISO xxx' on the boxes and in the literature.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have to admit that I don't actually read the box or the instructions in the box I just look for the number, in my case 100. Whether it is ISO 100 or 100 ISO or 100 or 100 ASA doesn't really matter as long as it is film of the right speed.......anyway I did say I was being pedantic!!

Just looked at the ISO web site, ISO 100 refers to "Pulleys for flat transmission belts -- Crowns"

The standard for Colour Negative film is ISO 5800 and for Slide film ISO 2240, Black and White film speed determination is ISO 6. For digital it looks like ISO 12232.

Sorry slow day.

14. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

It's a bank holiday - pour yourself a large glass of something nice, put your feet up, and let the ISOs go hang - until tomorrow, anyway! :)

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Just about there, must take some photos then a nice dinner and some good red wine. The ISOs can go hang at CHF40 each! That's a lot of decent wine. :D :D /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

16. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Harumph! A true connoisseur knows it is 21º DIN ;)

17. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

I liked DIN . . . :eek: But then, I liked Scheiner too . . . :eek:

I am not even sure why you say DIN has been killed off. I looked at some Fujifilm in Jessops within the past week and its speed was designated as ISO 200/24º - I took the 24º to be its DIN speed?

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

19. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

Anybody know what has finer grain Superia Reala 100 or 160c?

Try Jessops, I think they have 5 rolls of Superia 100 x36 for £10 or maybe try 7Dayshop

20. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

It is indeed, just as DIN 27° is 400ASA/ISO. DIN went up in third stop units so ISO100 is 21°, 125= 22°, 160 is 22° and 200 = 24° and so on. While it's perhaps simpler to understand that 200 is twice the speed of 100 in the ISO system the intermediate third stops are a lot easier to work out under DIN rules...