1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

So where have you spotted a film camera?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gray1720, Sep 8, 2018.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

That used to be our local on a Thursday...

Adrian

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

A bit pricey for a local. The Urinals are rather magnificent aren't they?

3. gray1720

It wasn't pricey back then! Though I can see I will have to make a trip to inspect the urinals - can you still just get a pint, I wonder?

Adrian

4. Learning

Yes, at a price. Lady Lucinda Lambton would be ecstatic at the quality of the Victorian or Edwardian Gents.

5. gray1720

Got to be new - I'd have remembered a Victorian gents!

Adrian

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Came across 4 members of the sub-species Studentus Artius down by the river today. The inevitable tall slim couple were the subjects while the more normal looking girls were using a digital of some sort and what looked awfully like a Pentax K1000...

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1011478.JPG

Learning likes this.
  7. Learning

I admit that I am now too lazy to use film and would also expect most photography students to use mainly digital technology.
    However, I think it very good that students spend some time with fully manual film cameras like the Pentax K1000 or Nikon FM2n. I hope that they at least process their own monochrome film and print it in a wet darkroom. It gives them a connection to the great photographers of the past. Some might even try large format if they can afford to do so.

8. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Getting cheaper by the day:

https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/products/intrepid-camera

S

9. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Nothing awful about the K1000 at all ;). I was shooting at Cape Kennedy with my Canon A1 about 1989 when a little kid came up and gazed longingly at it and said "Gee I wish I had one of those". He had a K1000. I told him all that was great about learning to use a K1000 and he went away feeling 6 feet tall.

10. Andrew Flannigan

I tried one out and there was nothing wrong with it; just wasn't a Spotmatic. :(

11. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in another thread, I wasn't keen on the centre microprism focussing of the K1000* - which is the only thing I've got against it. Mine is still going strong after nearly forty years.

Cheers, Jeff

*I appreciate that a small percentage of the earlier K1000s were released with a split image surrounded my the microprism collar (like wot a camera should have), however mine was one of the vast majority without the split image.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Have to say that I much prefer microprisms to the split image (although it took me many years to realise that!), but what I dislike about the K1000 is the absence of DOF preview. I much prefer the other K models, especially the K2, and also the MX.

13. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just age-related. I don't recall having any particular problems with the microprism back when I bought it, however nowadays I find that I can hit the correct focus right away with a split image whereas I struggle with the prism. The daft thing is that my glasses prescription is exactly the same as it was when I was seventeen!

Cheers, Jeff

14. Andrew Flannigan

You know: DOF preview was always supposed to be a big selling point but I can't recall ever finding it useful. On the other hand a lens without DOF markings would never have found its way into my bag. Horses for courses I suppose.

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I find exactly the opposite. As Andrew says, horses for courses. :)

Fishboy likes this.
  16. Learning

£250 for the camera is reasonable but you have to add a lens and shutter. The film is not cheap. Some students might also not already own a tripod.

17. Andrew Flannigan

+ dark slides and a focussing cloth. Probably a loupe too.

Learning likes this.
  18. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Remind me how much a middle of the road DSLR goes for?

S

19. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

what's a middle of the road DSLR?

20. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Flat?

Or, to be slightly serious, somewhere between entry-level and professional - a pro-sumer/enthusiast model?