1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

So where have you spotted a film camera?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gray1720, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

There was a poster advertising Santander Bank a couple of years ago that something along the lines of "Buy a vintage camera and use your monthly fee to buy film". I can't remember what sort of camera it was - but I'm fairly sure that the name had been removed.

Cheers, Jeff

2. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Sod the cameras in print and film!

What I want to know is when are film-makers going to stop using the sound of a film SLR and auto-drive to indicate a photo has been taken with a DSLR.

3. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

It's all part of cinematic language, like the days flying out of calendars to show the passing of time - although that's not used often nowadays, instead they might use a montage e.g. Hugh Grant walking through a market while the seasons change in the background (Notting Hill), we accept things in films that don't occur in real life! It's not worth fretting over. I still smile when I hear someone call a train a choo-choo even though they haven't made that noise for years! :)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  4. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I was watching an interview on the news last night and right next to the reporter could be heard the sound of mirror flap from a SLR, probably with a motor-drive being fired off at about 2fps.

5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Spotted a Canon AE1 (with an FP4 box top in the holder at the rear) in my granddaughter's luggage as she as she rests briefly here on her way to 1st year at York Uni.

6. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

Last night I wasted a couple of hours writing an Android app for my 'phone which, when I take a photo, the 'phone goes to max volume, switches to speaker phone, and then plays a recording I made of the shutter and motor drive on my Rollei 2000 - three times.

As Nero Wolfe would say - 'satisfactory'. :D

7. Fishboy

Instead of recording your Rollei, you could have just used the opening of Duran Duran's 'Girls on Film' which uses the sound of a Nikon FE with an MD-12 motor drive* - although the video (directed by former 10cc members Kevin Godley and Lol Creme) became more famous than the song when it was first released because of all the ladies with no vests on!.

Cheers, Jeff

*Although there's some dispute about this because two different people claim to have supplied the camera for the motor drive recording. All I can say is that it sounds just like my MD-12.

8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Funny you should mention old cameras as photo props. This dropped through the letter box this week. I'm a bit undecided what it is, but I know I have one somewhere. Do enlighten me.

[​IMG]

9. RovingMike

Yes irritates me. As do binocular masks that show two lenses. The entire point is that they should merge as one.

10. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

It's a girl.

S

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

With quite nice teeth

steveandthedogs likes this.
  12. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Alright, to be sensible, could it be a Retinette?

S

RovingMike and Fishboy like this.
  13. RovingMike

Looks like it might be the left-handed version.....

14. RovingMike

Could be. The lightmeter on the right was throwing me, but I see on p12 she has the right handed version:

[​IMG]

15. Fishboy

Strange - I never had Mike down as being in the market for a camo sequined jacket and a pair of leather look treggings. I'd have thought that was more Nige's sort of thing...

Cheers, Jeff

PS - I vote for it being a Retinette as well.

16. RovingMike

So you haven't caught my drag act down the Balls Pond Road then?

steveandthedogs and Fishboy like this.
  17. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

"The Beauty Jungle" was on Freeview channel 81 the other day. Ronald Fraser was sporting an Edixamat and what looked like a Braun Hobby flash system in several scenes. Even Janette Scott couldn't rescue the film from a dire script and the presence of Ian Hendry so Fraser and his camera were pretty much the most interesting thing in it.

18. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

The second window on the Retinette is a frameline illuminator.

RovingMike likes this.
  19. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Just this afternoon in Sainsbury's, waiting in line at the checkout, I spotted the leaflet for their travel money service. Intriguingly, it features a Fed.

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I saw a man with a Pentax and winder this afternoon