1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So where have you spotted a film camera?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gray1720, Sep 8, 2018.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

According to Camera Wiki, it's "a cut-down version of the TL Electro X", which itself is "a definite product of the 60's in that it uses the m42 mount, already almost obsolete in the face of bayonet mounts as well as a fairly primitive stopped-down metering system, even though this system used a novel lighted display."

2. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Mamiya of some sort?

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Bronica, I think.

peterba likes this.
  5. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Looks like a Mamiya 645 S to me - the only camera I ever regretted selling.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Looks like he is struggling to hold the lens in place.

7. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Yes - it's a Bronica ETRS. The winder isn't the right shape for the Mamiya. There's no silver-coloured ring around the winder... which is present on the Bronica SQ-a, but not (IIRC) on the later SQ cameras, or the ETRS.

Also, (and I reckon this clinches it :D) it's just possible to make out the letter 'Z' on the upper part of the prism slope - which the ETRS has, but the SQ range doesn't. [nerd mode off ;)]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    SXH likes this.
  8. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

The Yashica Electro X range also included a rangefinder model, with a (non-interchangeable)v f1.7 lens. Pretty solid construction, but it had a reputation for the batteries not lasting very long.

9. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

The Electro-X had a Copal metal bladed shutter, the TL Electro a cloth focal plane shutter.

10. CollieSlave

CollieSlave Well-Known Member

In the opening credits of the superb BBC series World on Fire there are a series of still photos - including a close-up front view of an elderly (screw thread) Leica! And at the Ffestiniog Railway Victorian Weekend (start of October: annual event and lots of photo opportunities) we saw a chap with an immaculate, black, Leica MP.

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Not sure about this one. The Mont Blanc Explorer TV ad. Only the shorter version (there are two) gives a semi-decent view of it, but he does seem to use a lever wind after taking his pic.
    mb.jpg
    Seems to be a rangefinder model of some sort.

12. gray1720

13. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

How about the film Kong: Skull Island, in which Bree Larson wanders about taking pictures with a Leica M3, MR Meter, finder goggles and a 35mm Summaron?

Kong.jpg

Cheers, Jeff

14. gray1720

In Broad Street, Oxford, today, a chap with a Trip 35 (I really must do something with the stereo pairs I took, it's only been about eight years...), and a young llady with a Canon AE-1, new to film, on her third roll... ever!

15. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

Obviously popular, those Canons.........on the down-ramp of the Reichstag dome in Berlin last week I saw a smartly dressed young lady posing against the handrail whilst being immortalised by another young lady with an AE-1........are we actually allowed to say 'young lady' any more? sorry, but the phrase 'two wimmin, one with a film camera', hardly trips off the tongue - but then this is written by an old bloke!!

Happy Christmas and all the best for the New Year.

Take care,
    Mike

16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

What bank? I would want to avoid them.

17. gray1720

...popped up in an ad on Fartbook, I reckon that's a Fed 4 bottom right

[​IMG]

18. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Or even a Fed 5?

S

19. gray1720

Could be... I just googled the 4, because I knew it wasn't a 3!

steveandthedogs likes this.
  20. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

A Nikon F2 (I think) in today's repeat of Last of the Summer Wine.