1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So where have you spotted a film camera?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gray1720, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

Staying in Florence for a few further days and, returning from the city centre, overtook a young woman photographing the small street market in via Roma with a Pentax MX - looked really nice in black/chrome and in mint nick.

Slightly OT but have noticed that in most of the tourist spots most camera users are Nikon or Canon DSLR with few mirrorless - Panasonic G, Olympus, Sony Full frame or 6000 series......haven’t spotted a Fuji XT yet.

Take care,
    Mike.

2. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

......forgot to add that the most depressing thing is the wall of ‘smartphones’ raised at every opportunity. They certainly seem to have taken over from the point-and-shoot compact digital. Oh yes, and one Canon/Canonet type rangefinder being used by Korean (?) teenager.
    Take care,
    Mike

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Why are they depressing? They're the modern equivalent of the "Brownies" used when I was a kid.

Learning likes this.
  4. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

Yes, I remember my Brownie 127 very well but several things were different.......firstly we used the viewfinder at eye-level only when we wanted to take a picture and that was fairly infrequently as film was expensive (well, it was in my family) and cameras were usually a thing for summer holidays or outings. Secondly, there was no large, brightly lit screen on the rear of any camera in those days to impede or otherwise distract the vision of those nearby......eg - in a museum and looking at a statue or painting when everyone in front raises their arms and there’s the ‘wall of smartphones’.....OK, maybe not as intrusive as the ‘clack’ of the shutter in a Bakelite Brownie but would we have tried that shot with that kit? I won’t get into the survey showing 75% of people don’t like or keep the shots they’ve taken on their phones and just delete them.........and then there’s the seemingly evident fact people spend more time ‘engaging’ with their phones than life around them......yes, I’m a dinosaur .......and way O/T
    Take care
    Mike

Footloose likes this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

What I find "depressing" is the way in which more people than enough don't understand the concept of live and let live.

6. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

The first season of 'NCIS' shows both Mark Harmon and David McCallum using a Nikon F100 during the opening titles.

Cheers, Jeff

7. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

Couldn’t agree more - witness the concept of cyclists presuming priority right-of-way on pavement, motorists double parking or parking half on / half off a pavement and, in this particular instance, the screening off of a view by an ‘electronic Berlin Wall’...... my opinion.....i don’t like it and added it as a rider to my previous comments about being pleased at the continued use of film cameras - ooops.....didn’t mean to upset anybody!

Take care,
    Mike

8. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I spent 10 days in September on a cruise, one member of our group was using film the whole time. Can’t remember exactly which camera he was using but it was a Canon.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Live and let live works both ways. If you want to take a photo with your phone, fine but please let me see subject too, preferably not on the screen of your phone.

11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Now that is class. I still have an F100 and it works very well.

Just a pity that the rubbery coating has gone a bit sticky. The F90 is pretty good as well. The AF on the F90 actually works, albeit slowly, at F8. (Sigma 400mm f5.6 + anonimous 1.4 converter).

12. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Royal London (insurance) advert on TV has a very short section on a camera shop window (38 seconds in) which appears to have a number of old film cameras on show.

Mark101 and EightBitTony like this.
  13. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

14. gray1720

I think both Steve's have got it there, thank you!

15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Just walking past Cashconverters on the way to the NationWide (closed until December. Grrrr!:mad:) and noticed this...
    30575ces.jpg
    Odd man out.

Nipped inside for a quick browse - in the display case they also had a Pentax MX and K1000.

Please excuse the accidental selfie! :oops:

peterba likes this.
  16. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

And does your use of the past tense here (i.e. they "had") mean that you now HAVE, Steve? ;) :D

17. gray1720

Interesting selection - I think I can see a Pentacon Six and a Kiev 66, and there's definitely a Nikon F3 in the top row.

18. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Er, no, just that my visit to the place was in the past, so I used the past tense.

Anyway, I already have an MX - needs a damn good service though. :(

peterba likes this.
  19. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I was just making a bit of innocent mischief, Steve... :D

20. Andrew Flannigan

The TL-Electro in Steve's picture is an odd camera. When I got one (for less than the price on that one) I found it strangely unsatisfying: a sort of Spotmatic wannabe without any of the charisma. Nothing wrong with it - just... unsatisfying.

peterba likes this.