1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

So where have you spotted a film camera?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gray1720, Sep 8, 2018.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Today's... a mirror-image Zenit 12 on https://www.thetrainline.com/

I've come over all unnecessary at the thought of a lass* with wrists strong enough to weild one like that.

Adrian

* It had better be a lass!

LesleySM and steveandthedogs like this.
  2. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

edited.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  3. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Hmm....some camera weights: Agfaflex IV with 50mm f2.8 lens - 1087gm; Canon FT with 50mm f1.4 lens - 948gm; Zenit B with 58mm f2 lens - 893gm; Pentax Spotmatic with 50mm f1.4 lens - 859gm. (I didn't have a Zenit 12 to weigh - probably similar to the B).

4. gray1720

Far too serious, John!

I have actually weighed the beast myself and, although it's not light, it's lighter than eg my Nikkormat.

OK, back to your spots...

Adrian

John Farrell likes this.
  5. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

There was a post not too long ago about Kylie Minogue holding a film camera - again, it was a Zenit and I think the picture was reversed.

In an effort to discover whether the individual in your Trainline picture was male or female I've just tried a quick image search of 'hipster with film camera' which revealed some quite amusing sights, including some muppet holding his cine camera in portrait orientation and any number of TLR-users with their fingers covering the taking lens!

Sadly, there was no definitive answer on the sex of the Zenit user in your picture,

Cheers, Jeff

Edit to add: The other thing I noticed was the number of stock photos of people holding out film cameras at arm's length and grinning at the back of the camera as if there were a screen there!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

If you want sightings of film cameras try the repeats of "Endeavor". Oxford seems to have housed a really rich newspaper in the 1960s: one of their photographers was shown using a Leica M3 at a "grip and grin" job. :cool:

7. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Anonymous camera during a shop refit on George Street, Edinburgh, 2015.

DSC1493.jpg

John Farrell likes this.
  8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

looks a bit Asahi Pentax to my untrained eye (my trained eye thinks that too)

AlanW likes this.
  9. John Farrell

It's a Zenit.

AlanW likes this.
  10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

see I told you my eye was untrained...the trained one is just plain lazyo_O like that

John Farrell likes this.
  11. gray1720

I keep trying to persuade my mate Nas to get a sharp suit - he's on first name terms with every film crew in Oxford and with his collection of cameras (I think he uses an M2 a lot, and various TLRs, plus Polaroids), he could walk in as a reporter. But he's happy on his side of the lens.

This is Nas and his thang, BTW. https://www.flickr.com/photos/bossnas/

Adrian

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  12. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Another vote for the Zenit B, though not with the f2 lens due to the chrome trim around the end of the lens. It's just occurred to me that the Zenit's focussing screen was designed that way, so users could 'pre-visulise' what their images would look like if they used uprated Tri-X? :D

13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Helios 44-2 variants have a polished silver trim to the front edge of the aperture ring. It can be seen in some of the pictures here: http://vintage-camera-lenses.com/helios-44-2-58mm-f2/

14. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Mine doesn't but it's just a bog standard 44-M

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's the 44-2 that's bog-standard, the 44-M was the luxury version with the automatic diaphragm. :)

16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

note to self - must put on ebay at vastly overpriced sum "it's an automatic bokeh monster, no talent required" That's sure to attract the lomographers out there:rolleyes:

17. John Farrell

The rings on the rewind side look like the meter calculator on a Zenit E........the meter cell and flash socket have been painted out.

18. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

One of today's episodes of MASH (Series 9, Episode 12) has an army press photographer using a Hasselblad of some sort.

19. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

'My' bank has, or had, a poster advertising some sort of start-up loan for those wanting to set up a business. The picture featured a young woman clutching a Rollei TLR.

Lynn

20. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I use PSE 11, which dates from the end of 2012. One of the start up screens features an anonymised Mamiya TLR.