1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

So what's missing?

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Learning, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

So what's missing in the AP Essential Guide to New Camera Launches 2013? I don't mean what have the AP staff missed out although some members of the forum will inevitably go off along this aspect, but what have the manufacturers missed out?
    As a Nikon user I would suggest the D700 replacement and D300s replacement. They are too easy to suggest.
    What do the users of other makers' products think are missing? (other suggestions from Nikon users also welcome).

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

The Fuji X20 came out in 2013

It was certainly a very significant camera Though AP tend to ignore it.

In the review of the canon g16 this week. the quality, speed and feature set, as well as the sensor and view finder are rather superior on this Fuji to the canon. Though it was not even given as a comparison.

I have spent my money where my mouth is and chose the X20.
    (Though I have previously bought and still have the minolta G600 the canon G3 and G6 and the fuji X10)

I am very happy to settle for around 12m pixels on a compact, but would not consider not having a viewfinder.

3. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

As a Nikon owner and user, I wonder if there will be replacements for either of these 2 models now. I think that the D600/610 is offered as an entry-level full frame model, and the D800/800E as the next step up, bearing in mind the relatively small percentage difference in prices.
    Rumours of a D300s replacement have been around for what seems like a couple of years now, and there are almost as many rumours suggesting that the D7100 is that camera

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

To me it looks more like a fact. Of course Nikon may be proving me wrong as I type but I think the D300s is probably the last of the line and if there is ever a D400 it may well be yet another FX format option. Looking at the spec of the D7100 it seems to be a logical successor to the 300 in terms of features and specification but in a slightly more comapct form.

I suspect that Nikon have done a similar trick to Canon (when they downsized the 60D to be more of a souped up 600D) and have effectively downsized the theoretical D400 and branded it D7100...

5. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Pages are of course limited ;)

The AP Fujifilm X20 review. Which, when published, was compared with the Canon PowerShot G15.

6. Richard Sibley

Richard Sibley AP Deputy Editor

The supplement is for system cameras and compact cameras with DSLR size sensors.

7. Terrywoodenpic

I sort of worked that one out for myself

However.....
    The title of the supplement is...
    Your essential guide
    New camera launches 2013​

No mention there of aps and above...????

8. Terrywoodenpic

the group also seems to include ...

Nikon 1 sensor size
    Micro 2/3rds sensor
    and the diminutive
    Pentax Q 1/1.7 sensor.

It also includes other non interchangable compacts, with and with out viewfinders.
    and a few with advanced hybrid contrast/phase detection. and some with xtrans 6x6 pattern sensors and no low pass filter... Ihe X20 seems to fit into that group somewhere.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Re-read what Richard said - you're imagining the wrong punctuation. System cameras includes the ones you've mentioned, but doesn't include the X20. Neither does compact cameras with DSLR sized sensors. Doesn't fit into either category.

And it's not "essential", 'cos I manage to live without one. ;)

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Mark,
    Indeed it was and it is still a competitor to the G16. But as you imply neither camera is really relevant to this thread about the supplement cameras. I was not criticising the supplement for what was included and excluded. I was asking what members thought that the manufacturers should have made that could have been included. Many Nikon users have been very vocal about missing cameras and lenses, and encouraged by Thom, the Farrage of the Nikon community. I was curious if users of other marques were equally rebellious of their chosen manufacturer.
    John.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  11. andymcd

andymcd Well-Known Member

As a Nikon user, it definitely looks like Nikon are missing their top prosumer model - e.g. a replacement for either the D300S or the D700. I think I read on bythom that the D400 was built and field tested, but they have shelved it due to the poor performance of their mirrorless cameras.

I was waiting to see if the D400 would come out and push the used price down on the D300 even further, but I've given up waiting and just bought a used D300.

Andy