1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So was 2020 the last year of dSLR?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by P_Stoddart, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

What else could you use it for? :confused:

Camera Sony A65 and Tamron 16-300 on papers DSC01407.JPG

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Viewing, view finding.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That's the main function of the Sony pellicle. Whether the image from the lens passes through and the sensor data is relayed to the EVF or the image is being reflected upwards to a sensor for the EVF it's still used for view finding.

4. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Yes, I slipped up there. I knew the main view was just through the finder lens, and overlooked the mirror adjusting the secondary viewfinder image.

There’s always a potential for variants. But I’d be amazed if we ever see a new design of DSLT now manufacturers have figured out how to focus using information directly from the sensor (something Sony have been doing exceptionally well). It’s true “digital single lens reflex camera” doesn’t specify interchangeable lenses or an optical viewfinder. But the vast majority of cameras using that arrangement have an OVF and take interchangeable lenses. Anyone referring to a modified type of camera that shares the reflex mirror and digital sensor is likely to take care to explain the differences. Conversely, hearing that a camera has no mirror isn’t grounds for inferring that it takes interchangeable lenses, has a digital sensor, and uses the output from that sensor to display the scene.

Chris

5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

IMO there's never been an ideal term for 'mirrorless' cameras. There was another term being banded around CSC (Compact system cameras) but my A7ii is comparable in size to my DSLRs so that's now quite inappropriate.

Mirrorless system cameras (MSC) might have been a fair compromise but the world has it seems settled on simply mirrorless, and in a few years time it may simply become 'camera' :)

6. ChrisNewman

Here here!

As those using 35mm film ceased to be called “miniature cameras”, I can hope that system cameras with all-digital display and capture will come to be called something more precise and meaningful than simply “mirrorless”.

Chris

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The DSLT is a strange beast really, successfully combining the disadvantages of mirrorless and DSLR type cameras. The pellicle is also quite fragile.

ChrisNewman likes this.
  8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

In AP this week they review the Canon EOS 850 D so, presumably, it is a new DSLR.

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Yes, a new release. Perhaps one of the last new DSLR consumer models.

I don't have any real intent of buying any bodies, the new Fujifilm 70-300 lens looks interesting though, all my kit is seriously idle at present anyway, I suspect I am not alone in that.

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

No you are not alone. I get all wistful as I try to remember to cycle the batteries on charge. Just topped up all three in my XH-1 (body + 2 in the grip)

11. ChrisNewman

Not to mention that it loses 30% of the light to the pellicle mirror when shooting. Offhand, I’m not aware of any other digital cameras with that disadvantage.

Chris

Petrochemist likes this.