1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So long, Keith Emerson

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by taxor, Mar 11, 2016.

1. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Sad news for me. I grew up listening to ELP and whatever you think about 'em, Keith Emerson was an accomplished keyboard player. Sad.

2. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

The "old school" guys are going fast....... wonder who will be next !
    Thoughts and prayers with the family.

3. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

There was a man who could stick knives in his organ and throw it around. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends.....

4. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

I was introduced to the music of ELP in 1973, I was 18 and going through a difficult time. When I heard their Brain Salad Surgery album I was totally amazed, it was so different from any other album I'd ever heard; I was immediately a fan. I even managed to get tickets to see them at Wembley in '74, but never made it to the stadium :-(

Today, I have to admit that for me the sound of the Moog now seems very dated; nowadays I prefer Rattle and the Berliner Phil performing Pictures at an Exhibition, but it was Keith Emerson who introduced me to that work and others.

By all accounts he was a very nice individual and I will always be grateful for the influence he had on my musical tastes.

RIP Keith

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  5. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Even sadder that he apparently took his own life.

I have the original LP of "Pictures at an Exhibition" - the fact that I bought it, and enjoyed it, suggests to me that they weren't as progressive as the music industry claimed. (I'm predominantly a classical music lover.)

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

A story I remember about him was from the days he lived in the home counties. Fans were always hanging around the gates of his estate. One Sunday as he was sitting down to lunch with the family he caught sight of a busload of Japanese (iirc) tourists crowding the gates.

So he stripped off, did a couple of laps of the garden then returned to the house to eat. Leaving some confused tourists to get back on the bus and go home. Often wonder how many aged Japanese ELP fans have a framed photo of the event on their wall...

As for Pictures... I prefer my CD of Brigitte Engerer playing the piano version.

Yeah, I have the original vinyl too. And saw them perform it at the Manchester Free Trade Hall (before they turned it into a hotel!) back in '71 or '72. I'm expecting the ringing in my ears to stop any day now!

7. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

One of my all time heroes

8. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Don't forget the work he did with the Nice. They were pretty amazing. "The Five Bridges Suite",
    was the first time I enountered him.

It used to be said he had two modes: classical ( eg Five Bridges ) and freaky ( eg One of Those People ). I liked them both. And he often fused them together. ( see clip below )

"Pictures" was an introduction for me too and at 29/6 ( less than £1.50) it was a bargain for a double album. When I re-visited it decades later I realised what a rough rendition it was. At first it turned me off ELP's version but then I started to enjoy it again.

Here's a treat

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  9. willie45

Man, now I'm off on one. Happy days indeed

10. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Always preferred the Nice to ELP. Bit more of an edge.

S

11. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

I too preferred The Nice and have been listening to "Five Bridges" and "Elegy", my favourite ELP album is "Trilogy" and I love "Piano Improvisations" on the ELP live triple album.
    Another idol of my teens now sadly gone and making me even more aware of my own mortality. Thank you for the music Keith.

Andrew

12. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

That reminds me, a friend who ran a disco back in Newcastle used to force people to leave the dance floor at the end by playing Diamond Hard Blue Apples of the Moon - if you've ever seen drunks trying to dance to that... :D

13. willie45

I have such fond fond memories of these years.

We were going to go and see KE at the Barbican last year but for some reason couldn't make it. Wish we had managed :(

14. LesleySM

[QUOTE="willie45]
    We were going to go and see KE at the Barbican last year but for some reason couldn't make it. Wish we had managed :([/QUOTE]

Same here

15. LesleySM

[QUOTE="SXH,That reminds me, a friend who ran a disco back in Newcastle used to force people to leave the dance floor at the end by playing Diamond Hard Blue Apples of the Moon - if you've ever seen drunks trying to dance to that... :D[/QUOTE]

He'd have had problems with me- I once put Karn Evil 9 on in my local and when someone said "No one could dance to this"

I did..............

(I did some modern dance training in my youth and had a couple of "lessons" from Stacia who danced with Hawkwind)

16. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Did you wear as little as Stacia when having the lessons??!!

17. LesleySM

[QUOTE="DaveM399]Did you wear as little as Stacia when having the lessons??!![/QUOTE]

Not in lessons no.....

18. willie45

Not in lessons no.....[/QUOTE]

Jings, Lesley. The mind boggles :eek:

19. LesleySM

I'll leave your mind to bogggle shall I?

20. willie45

Fair enough ;)