1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So is this what you've all been waiting for?

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Nigel_Atherton, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

So that's real. I thought that it was just my browser putting up a stored page.

2. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

For now...................... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Indeed, but I fear this may be out of my range for a long while, especially as I am looking to get the Sony 70-200 G lens shortly. The A700 looks to be coming down in price rapidly, so I may look to get a second A700 body and sell the A100.

4. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Well, according to that spec it should blow just about every other digital SLR out of the water.......................but will it? As we all know a fantastic paper spec and cold hard photographic reality often have a habit of being two very different animals. We shall just have to wait for the definitive AP test to see if the reality lives up to the hype. One thing for sure, it's definitely going to "raise the bar" for future pro spec releases from Canon and Nikon and it will be interesting to see what their response is to this challenge?/threat? to their previously "sacred" sector of the pro market from those "upstarts" Sony?

BigWill

5. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I have been thinking for some time that another make gave Canon and Nikon some serious competition in the pro market, and I really do believe that Sony have now done so, but only time will tell.......... :cool:

But will `pro` Sony users be taken seriously by the others :D

6. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Well they have for years been taken very seriously in the professional video arena ... only 48 grand :)

I'm not holding my breath and I expect it'll take an upgrade or two before it's right ... the a700 with the application of V4 is now right :)

7. BigWill

I think it's very early days yet to even speculate as to whether Sony can make any sort of a serious challenge to Nikon and Canon's domination of the pro market with this latest release, but as the old saying goes "Large oaks from little acorns grow" and all it takes is for a few pro's to start using the sony kit and for it to get noticed by other pro's for the whole thing to start snowballing.........................provided the kit is up to scratch in the first place because "lables" are of less importance to pro's than practicality I suspect. As Roger says, time will tell, but this latest release from Sony certainly suggests that at least "there's a new kid on the block".

BigWill

8. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Will, what may swing it for some is the support re lenses, Flash etc., and of course the quality of the Glass itself. At the present it isn't really there, however the range of lenses is growing and the fact that many are Zeiss optics may help influence.
    The one area where Sony beat both canon and nikon is the flash system, and this again was inherited from Minolta, so for some Paps' a really good flash system may be the deciding factor.
    The fact that the body will be around the £2K mark and that there are enough lenses available to start a reasonable pro set up may just get a few pros to move over and if their results started selling in preference to canon/nikon users then who knows! time hopefully will tell

9. BigWill

I've heard a few unsettling rumblings about it's high ISO noise performance though Ron. see here I'll not say too much about that at the moment but wait for the AP tests to elaborate on that, suffice to say that if the camera has an "Achilles heel" in that area then it is one worth noting, even if only for those for whom high iso noise performance is paramount....................but as I said, these are only "rumblings" at the moment and may be just "pixel peeping" with little or no relevance to normal picture viewing so I'll wait for the AP test.

BigWill

10. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Re the high ISO performance there may be something there, but then as Rog points out the 700 has after a number 'software updates' become right.
    I'm going to keep an eye on developments, and price. 'cause I've been putting a few quid away for upgrading/new gear and I reckon that hopefully early next year I may be ready to give myself a 'wee' reward :) for some of the crap I've been/am going through :(

11. Roger_Provins

"Though all of us like seeing the stabilizing effects of Canon and Nikon's optical image stabilization through the viewfinder"

Not sure who the "all" is referring to here but count me out. I dislike and am slightly disorientated by a still image my mind knows should be moving. I don't like lens based image stabilisation at all.

"... I suggest they check their computer hardware and either upgrade or at least invest in redundant, multi-terabyte disks, because the Sony A900's files are huge. A typical outing for me is filling a 4GB card in a hot hurry. Some of that's shooting RAW, some of it is just the JPEGs I shoot, which average from 7 to 18MB each. Yes, I said 18MB."

Where's this bloke been and what sort of computer is he used to? Obviously never used 35mm or medium format digital scans. 18MB is TINY :)

A good review ... but I do wonder if he had a production a900 or one of the review copies - which were all pre-production with beta firmware.

12. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Rog,

Reading through the test report it appears that the issue revolves around jpeg capture and the amount of in camera sharpening

I'll wait to see hopefully an in-depth test by the AP team and see what I think then, then hopefully watch for price drops, before I dip my toes in the water, mind if the price of the 700 does drop due to the 900 coming onto the market then I may also be tempted, but, I'd like to get the proper perspective of my wides.

13. Roger_Provins

Yes, it seemed that way to me. However it is a reasonably comprehensive review and well done - so I don't want criticise too much.

I doubt I'll be getting one for quite a while - just retired and the pension isn't that wonderful plus my good lady insists we buy food before more cameras :)