1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So , how many Film Cameras do you actually use ?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Skyehammer, Mar 9, 2014.

1. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

THe ubiquitous cable tie?

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

A quick search on eBay comes up with someone selling a 7000i battery cover for £6.50 including postage. This might be easier, quicker, and possibly cheaper than the 3D printer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-M...t_Parts_Film_Camera_Parts&hash=item1c3f04ec46

I don't think I've ever dealt with this particular seller, but they do have 99.9% positive feedback. There are also several complete 7000is at prices starting from 99p auction, or £10 buy it now.

As to Poundland and Vista, the last time my local branch had it in stock, it was there for several months, and I think it's only been a couple of months they were out of stock before new supplies arrived this week. When I was enquiring a few weeks ago as to when they might have it back in, a staff member told me that the students often buy up lots very quickly, but I think that might've been a bit of a sales ploy. I'll just try to make sure I keep a couple of months worth on hand.

3. Kamil

Kamil New Member

Hi friends
    Recently, I nostalgically recalled his first Russian film camera Sokol.
    For three weeks in London, I took 400 shots.
    Today I take 400 images for one day.

London 1989 black and white

http://london-street-photography.blogspot.cz/

My second film camera is Canon 600 - very nice but the Russian Sokol was like Leica for me.

4. flipster

flipster Well-Known Member

Out of a dozen or so gathering dust the only ones to see regular action are my Olympus trip and Canon T90.
    Saying that my most recent acquisition, a Yashica J, might get a run out this weekend.

5. AlexMonro

Welcome to the forums!

I had a quick look at your link - some nice shots there. Interesting to see an outsider's view of London.

I also did a web search on the Sokol, since I hadn't heard of it before. It seems as though the Industar 70 lens is quite well regarded, as is the 72mm rangefinder base, the rest of the camera, not so much - except perhaps as a weight training aid! :) One site mentioned that the frame was cast iron - I'm not sure if they were joking!

6. Skyehammer

Skyehammer Well-Known Member

Kamil ,

As Alex says , some very good shots in your collection , and also a few reminders of the old cars we used to have to put up with !

Still haven't got hold of my Agfas yet , though I think Becky is coming over for a visit quite soon . She did offer to post them , but that would have incurred more cost which takes away the fun of buying them for a £1 each ! [​IMG]

Cheers ,

Peter Williams

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I gained four on Monday... one of which doesn't work (just my luck, as that's the weird one), two are the sort of thing that struggles to move at 99p on ebay, and the really interesting one (an art-deco Kodak Six-20 Model C with Compur shutter and Xenar lens has a lump out of the rear element!

Not the best of hauls...

Adrian

8. Skyehammer

Last week I bought a Yashica FR11 + new battery[ body only ] for a mere £12 which works perfectly , a Nikon 35-135mm [ £17.95 ] which turned out to be broken [​IMG] , and a Nikon 35-70mm [ £11 which was ok, then this week I picked a Nikon SB-20 Speedlight for £22 which made up for the dud lens .

I'm seriously running out of room between my book collection and my camera collection !! [​IMG]

9. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

So now you should get out there with some more 'contrasty' film than 400 ASA and do some Skye Landscapes again ! ( Don't forget the Yellow Filter )

10. Skyehammer

My Dear Pete ,

I've loaded around 9 cameras with various film , the trouble is I've forgotten which film went in which camera !! Silly me . I'll find out when they've all finished .
    What I'm trying to do is take a different film camera out with me [ along with either the Nikon D7000 or D80 ] every time I go out with the view of taking photographs .

I did buy a 52mm yellow filter ,so thank you for reminding me to take it out with me .

The wild garlic and bluebells have been out for a while now , I'll have to get down to Armadale before they've all gone .

Hope you are keeping well .

Kind Regards,

Peter Williams .

11. Skyehammer

p.s. I phoned Poundland Inverness earlier this week asking if they had any more film in , and also enquired about their range of A4 frames [ which ain't too bad for £1 ], so now my Darling Daughter , Becky will have even more stuff to carry over from Inverness for me .
    Woohoo !

Cheers ,

Peter .

12. AlexMonro

Some cameras have a handy slot on the back where you can put the torn off end of the film box as a reminder. Others, of an earlier vintage, sometimes have a "film type reminder dial" that you can set - although it probably won't have indications that will tell the difference between, say, Fuji Superia 200 and Agfa Vista 200.

What I do with cameras that don't have any built in indication facility is stick part of the film box onto a convenient part of the camera with Sellotape, trying to avoid painted areas, 'coz sometimes it pulls the paint off.

I must admit, since I've more or less standardised most of my 35mm on Agfa Vista, it has simplified things somewhat.

13. Skyehammer

Hi Alex ,

Thanks for that little tip , I'll bear that in mind .
    I've a mixture of Ilford and Fuji in the 9 cameras in use just now , there's 14 cameras [ out of a total of 34 ] ready for use though not all have film in them .
    I'm finding that enough to be getting on with , the cheap film will help tremendously .

Cheers ,

Peter .

14. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

Used within last 3-4 years

one rangefinder - 1933 Leica lll with summar lens (or for better quality a Jupiter 8)

one SLR - Olympus OM10 with recent new light seals and batteries. 50mm macro, 28mm and 200mm Zuiko lenses. Actually has film in it!

one TLR - Yashicamat 120.

Used recently - none.

Many others skuling in cupboard, unlikely to be used again by me except for my talks to antique groups.

15. Skyehammer

Hi Mike ,

I too have a Yashica Mat , I think there's one more shot left in it , then the film will be finished and I can send it off .
    It will be only the 2nd time I have used it , and I'm looking forward to seeing the results .

I bought another lens for my Yashica FR11 today , a 35-70mm for a mere £15 , oh the joy ![​IMG]

16. djs

djs Member

Hi Roy,

I must say that until a year or so ago I would have completely agreed, such a faff with all that inverting and timing and temperatures etc. However, I discovered (semi) stand development and feel suddenly liberated, I have returned to film with gusto and get such amazing negatives that it kind of felt like cheating the first couple of times! I have a video showing the quality of the results (as well as some that ought to be on the cutting room floor!)

http://youtu.be/iMN0zKxijJo

If you do take the time t look I would be interested to hear what you think

Best

Dave Smith

17. djs

djs Member

Regularly 3 ... Wilderness V 10x8 camera (an all metal field camera that was crazy cheap and is great - Chinese) I have a video of it here

http://youtu.be/HIz4jMLabHo

and more to come showing the movements and its use.

Fuji GX680, incredible camera selling at incredible bargains still. I have several videos showing the system in some detail including how to change the battery in the mk1 & mk2 film backs (they are getting old now so people are likely to need to be able to make this change and there is precious little information available, in fact I had to stop recording several times to work out the best way to do the next stage! But this video is the overview of my system

http://youtu.be/MB4hLCAU6cQ

Last but not least is my 'point and shoot' the Fuji GA645Zi. No video yet, but will come in time.