1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So , how many Film Cameras do you actually use ?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Skyehammer, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Nikon used to offer the service themselves, but it's certainly not rocket science - shouldn't be very expensive in itself, probably the postage will be the worst bit about it. But I could be wrong! ;)

2. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

I use the following.

Ensign Selfix 820
    Olympus OM2
    Olympus 35 sp
    Olympus Trip 35
    Voigtlander Vito B
    Lomo Konstruktor

3. Skyehammer

Skyehammer Well-Known Member

Took a couple of shots with my Yashica Mat yesterday , at first I thought the shutter had broken until I consulted the manual , - when you wind on the film with the winder arm , you have to bring back the arm to cock the shutter and initially I forgot that but it fired when I did it correctly .
    I'm looking forward to seeing the results .

4. Skyehammer

The nice gentleman at AZTECH didn't have the kit for my k-type lens , but he can still convert it so that it will fit my D7000 or my F90 / F80 .
    There is another website which deals with every lens that Nikon have ever produced called www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon and apparently is very useful if you need a conversion kit for any old non Ai lens you've got .

5. DayTripper90

DayTripper90 New Member

I picked up a Mamiya C220 TLR a few months back in great condition and then picked up the 55mm and 135mm lenses and I just can't put it down, I use this more often than my digital camera at the moment, it's a cracking camera.

My other film camera is a nikon FM2n which I use as my travel camera with the 28mm E series f/2.8 and the 85mm f/2 AIS,

6. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

The Mamiya TLRs are superb bits of kit and the 55mm lens is a real peach. They're tough 'n all - my old C330f (I have a newer one these days) went with me on many backpacking and day trips to the mountains and survived many a knock.

7. Skyehammer

Batteries for my Nikon F75 arrived yesterday making it 7 Nikon film cameras in very good working condition . 17 in all .
    There must be another 20+ upstairs awaiting my love and attention .
    Slowly , slowly does it .

8. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Know the feeling. I think I'll have to get in to Poundland for some more Agfa Vista 200 tomorrow. Hopefully they might've got some more 36exp rolls in after I cleaned them out a couple of months ago... :)

9. Skyehammer

How do the Agfa Vista perform , are they up for the job ?

I've just brought every camera and lens that my Wife stored for me in boxes upstairs while I was in hospital , and
    I'm finding one or two lenses that I'd forgotten that I'd bought .
    There was a Tokina 35-105mm , a Tamron Tele-Converter for Canon F-Series and a Sigma [ possibly Z-Series ] , Sigma 300mm 5.6 .
    I haven't got a clue which brand of camera the Tokina lens is for , I'm guessing that the Sigma is possibly a K-Mount Pentax .

I remember buying an M42 adapter but I can't find it sadly .

What I'm wondering is...if I bought another adapter , would it be possible to fit the Sigma on to one of my F-Mount Nikons ?
    Which other lenses from other brands is it possible to mix and match with the correct adapters for a Nikon camera .

I was very pleased with the condition of all the cameras which were stored , much better than I remembered , among them were a Canon A1 with a 50mm ,
    Miolta Dynax 7000 , Minolta SRT 101 , Minolta XGM [ didn't even know I had it !! ] Pentax ME-Super , Canons EOS 1000F and EOS 500n .

The Olympus OM4 and 3 lenses are missing which is strange , but I'm sure they'll turn up .
    Any help with the Sigma 300mm fitting a Nikon camera somehow will be most gratefully received .

Many Thanks ,

Peter Williams .

10. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I have some Agfa 'Vista 200' loaded in my 1975 Asahi Pentax KX at the moment but I have never yet found a 'Poundland' actually SELLING film in Essex area-- definitely not in Brentwood Romford and Chelmsford. I am rating my Vista at 100 ASA not 200 as it is outdated. In my 1970's Asahi Pentax Spotmatic F I have some 30 year old Kodak 'Royal 25' loaded -- I did a 'clip test' and it good at 20 ASA and no fog level!
    In my 1996 Pentax MZ-5 I have some 2001 dated Fuji Press 800 rated at 200 ASA.
    I will probably taken these to BOOTS in Brentwood High Street for dev and prints as Bill there knows about Photography and gets excellent colour balance especially from my famous outdated films which come out nice and dense after downrating.

11. Skyehammer

One of the cameras in my collection is a Pentax Spotmatic , and today I bought a Wein 1.35 v for it , are there any alternative batteries I could use , Pete ?

12. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I've probably got through getting on for a couple of dozen rolls of Vista over the last few months, and I must say, the more I use it, the more I like it. I'll probably still go for Kodak Ektar when I want the maximum definition and fine grain, with plenty of saturation, but for everyday use, the Vista does a good job.

In fact I'm getting so fond of it, I went in to Poundland yesterday to stock up again - only to find that the shelf was taken over by blank DVDs, no film anywhere. There's another branch in town I'll try tomorrow, and I'm going to Bath at the weekend, so I'll have a look there, but it might be that it's gone for a while (it has come and gone in Poundland before). I just hope it comes in again before I completely run out, otherwise I might have to pay twice as much for it at PhotoUK http://www.photouk.co.uk/shop/index.php/agfa-photographic-film.html.

The next cheapest film I've tried is Kodak ColorPlus 200, but I think I prefer the colours of Vista, at least for landscapes.

I think fitting almost anything else to a Nikon F mount is a problem, Nikon have one of the biggest register distances (lens mount flange to film plane) of any 35mm SLR, so you either need an optical element to increase the backfocus, which increases focal length and usually loses some resolution, or you lose infinity focus. There was an AP Answers piece about this a few weeks ago.

13. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Re: So , how many Film Cameras do you actually use ? ( Spotmatic

My Spotmatic F has a 'Button Cell HD 625' cell different from my earlier Spotmatic I -- that battery I got YEARS ago from Mathers of Manchester with a couple of spares and they are still good so don't know about replacements.
    Regards -- Keep Pentaxing -- Peter

14. Skyehammer

I'm seeing plenty of Agfa Vista for sale on a well known auction site , so I'm afraid the entrepreneurs have got there first .
    I'm going to Inverness on Wednesday , so I'll pop into Poundland for a tour can
    I get anyone some cheap deodorant , I can recommend it ? [​IMG]

Thanks for the info , Alex and Pete .

Peter .

15. Skyehammer

I don't know if anyone can help here , but one of the many cameras that I've got is a Minolta Dynax 7000i , I stuck a battery in it yesterday and it powers up fine...the only trouble is , the little plastic battery door has broken off , it's still there , all in one piece and I've tried sticking it back on with tape , but it doesn't give enough pressure on the battery to give any power to the camera .
    Any thoughts on how I can fix this problem ?

Peter Williams .

16. WOODYR

WOODYR Active Member

Hi, Could you possibly find someone who has a 3D printer that could make you a new door.
    I think there are several shops etc, that have 3D printers now.

Failing that, try ebay, for someone selling this model camera for spares or repair

17. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

How do these work? Would the end product be strong enough?

I would suppose you'd need a perfect specimen and some form of laser scanning system to create the instructions for the printer in the first place?

18. WOODYR

WOODYR Active Member

I certainly think it would be strong enough. Sometime ago, it was reported on the news, that someone in America, had actually made a gun, using a 3D printer, the gun was shown firing.

How you would scan the part for the 3D printer to make, i don't know, but i am sure a google search would come up with some information about this.

19. Skyehammer

WOODYR ,

That sounds like a plan , trouble is I live on Skye , the nearest 3d printer is probably in Glasgow , unless they're more widespread than I thought .
    I've only ever seen one on TV programmes , and yes I'd heard about the gun being made on a printer .
    The thing is , the door looks like it is whole , with all it's bits in one piece , but it's not staying where it should...ah well , I do have another 32 cameras I can play with , it's just frustrating not to have the Minolta firing because of this tiny problem , and although it's entirely plastic , it does look quite good , so does the lens .
    Thanks very much for your idea though .

Peter .

20. Skyehammer

Just to say that I went to Poundland on Monday , but they didn't have any Agfa Vista 200 until yesterday , so I put in a request for 20 and my Daughter picked them up for me today , so they do still stock them , you just have to know when they arrive in store because non photographers will grab them all for profit as soon as they get them in , the bas***ds !!