1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So , how many Film Cameras do you actually use ?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Skyehammer, Mar 9, 2014.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Have a look at this for caffinol: http://www.alastairdandy.co.uk/2012/12/caffenol-c-how-to-process-film-using.html

S

2. Skyehammer

Skyehammer Well-Known Member

The ears looked more like cat's ears than a rabbit's , sadly no holes , the ears were solid .
    Thought I had a 135mm Prime for my digital cameras there !.....poo .

Thanks for your help , Adrian .

Took some photos with my Nikon F90 and F80 today , I did leave it a bit late and the sun was quite low producing a lot of glare , there was a lot of haze also which hid the Isles of Rum and Eigg .
    We'd gone down to Tarskavaig then on to Tokavaig [ where the Ancient Castle Dunscaith or in Gaelic Dun Sgathaich ] is , it's not much to look at these days , but very interesting from a historical point of view .

Cheers ,

Peter .

3. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I have to try to HIDE my Cameras because if Wife ( No. 3) sees them she will say " why do you want all those cameras. you can use only ONE at a time" but my Oncologist has told me it's my interest in my Old Cameras and going out with them that is keeping me alive after two lots of Cancer ! ( and I don't go to the Pub and come home and HIT the Wife -- )

4. Kamepa

Kamepa Well-Known Member

My first attempt went wrong. Just a blank clear film not even the normal numbers and Ident markers.
    Used dp soda crystals, Young's citric acid and continental gold coffee. Arghhh wasted a film! Will have to do this as the instructions and not cut corners looking for ingredients that might work.

5. Skyehammer

I would certainly agree with your Consultant , Pete , when Photography occupies your mind , you're relaxed and not worrying about anything other than your next shot or roll of film for development , keeping stress and worry firmly at the back of your mind .
    Well done , Pete , keep at it , mate , you're doing fantastically well .

6. Skyehammer

It was still a very good shot , Kamepa , no one ever got anywhere without trying .
    Next on my list of trying out my old cameras are a Pentax Spotmatic , Zorki 4K , Fed 3 and Fed 4 , I'm VERY excited !

7. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

One site reckons you should use the cheapest rubbish coffee you can find rather than good stuff, it gives a better result.

Have a look at this one: http://www.caffenol-cookbook.com/

S

ps - you notice I'm letting you do the experimenting/wasting film? [​IMG]

8. Skyehammer

I found the lens that's on my Nikkormat , it's a Nikkor-Q 135 Prime Lens .

I remember when I was searching for a lens that would fit my Nikkormat , I chose this one as it was relatively cheap and the seller told me that it would fit , and it did !
    It's in great condition , and according to another seller on Ebay , it's worth £130 , well it's what he's asking for it !
    Shame it won't fit any of my other Nikons .

Scratch that , it's NOT a Nikkor-Q lens , though it is pre or non AIS .
    I've just remembered...I've got a Nikon Compendium [ or whatever you call it ] , I'll go away and have a look in it , that will probably tell me which lens it is !![​IMG]

Sorry everyone , that was a bit of a non-post .

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  9. Skyehammer

I'll be back tomorrow ![​IMG]

10. Kamepa

Kamepa Well-Known Member

Good Morning :)

11. Skyehammer

Good Morning ![​IMG]

OK Chaps and Chapesses ,
    When in doubt about your lens , consult your Nikon Compendium [ it is called a Compendium ! ] , Handbook Of Nikon System !
    Only consult the Nikon Compendium , Handbook Of Nikon System if your lens is actually a Nikon lens , for any other lens , consult whatever Compendium which is relevant to that particular brand !
    I've got the 1993 [ first edition ] hardback edition of the Nikon Compendium , so it doesn't cover any stuff after that period , but it does cover the 135mm lens which I have on my Nikkormat , and it is in fact a..............
    K-Mount .
    It doesn't have the same screws as the K-Mount in my book , but according to the serial number it is a K-Mount .
    It was built between May1975- March1977 .

12. Skyehammer

Good Morning , Kamepa !!![​IMG] I haven't got a Cyrillic keyboard , so this will have to do....

Dobroye utro , kak dela !!

25th March is ' Freedom Day ' in Belarus , so Happy Freedom Day to everyone in Belarus !!

I might be coming to you for some help with my Fed 2 and Fed 4 !!

I think I said previously that I had a Fed 3 and Fed 4 , but after looking in my bag last night it was the Fed 2 and Fed 4 I've got .

13. Skyehammer

Is K-Mount the correct term or K-Type , or K-Bayonet fit ?

Thanks ,

Peter .

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

K mount or K bayonet generally refers to the Pentax K bayonet mount...
    In this case, I think it's a type, but it's a subset of the pre-AI lenses.

15. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

ISTR that early Nikkor lenses used a letter of the alphabet to designate how many glass elements the had (D=4, F=6 etc.) but (counts on fingers) K=11 does seem rather large for a prime lens.

16. Skyehammer

My Nikon Compendium lists all its lenses up to I guess 1993 as it's a 1993 first edition.
    It gives the list ' Type Of Bayonet ' and states mine as a ' K ' , where a lens is ' AIS ' , it states ' AIS ' and so forth , so by that assessment I can only conclude that my 135mm / 3.5 is a K-Type .
    The other 135mm/3.5 that they list are ' A ' , ' C ' , ' N ' and ' Ai-S ' .
    My K-Type fits my Nikkormat FT and that is ALL I am able to find out about it , I can find NOTHING on the Internet , the only place I find any information is the Nikon Compendium of 1993 .
    When I look at the Camera section of the Compendium , the Nikkormat FT ' Type Of Bayonet ' states ' Non Ai ' !![​IMG]

So , when folk went out to buy their Nikkormats FT then asked ' What sort of lens will I need for this , Love ? ' [ PC wasn't invented then ] , the answer would have been ' That'll be a Non Ai lens , Dearie ' [ I'm assuming it's a woman that's serving and the customer is a man ] .
    ' So , by non Ai do you mean a ' K ' , ' C ' or an ' N ' type ???? '
    ' Oh , I wouldn't know , Dearie , Nikon are so fuc***g vague when they state their types in their Compendium , I suppose the ONLY way of knowing would be to take all these lenses I've got here , and try them on , whatever fits , you can 'ave , Dearie , how would that suit you ??? ' .
    Or words to that effect .

Or am I simply not getting it ?

Thick From Skye , Needing Someone In The Know To Explain It All To Me In Simple Language That I Can Understand ,

Peter Williams .

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Close, but no cigar - the letter did indeed indicate the number of elements, but D=10, not 4 - it stands for deca. K wasn't part of this code, but refers to the design of the lens barrel rather more than the elements, and indicates rubber surround on the focusing ring more than anything else, IIRC - it's really not an important distinction for actually using the lens, merely for collectors, TBH. What matters is that it's pre-AI - which obviously is itself a designation that didn't exist until the introduction of auto indexing - all people would have asked for is an F mount lens. The confusion only really began with auto indexing.

I don't much care for Thom Hogan (he's full of what I've always considered to be typically Nikon pomposity), but his guide to this seems fairly good: http://www.bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm

18. Skyehammer

Reading that piece, I'm wondering if it's at all possible to have my K-Bayonet fit 135mm lens converted to AI ?
    Is it just a case of drilling holes in the solid ' Rabbit Ears ' to make them in to AI or is there more to it than that ? I'm guessing that there is .

Anyone know what the cost would be ?

Thanks for the link , Nick .

19. Skyehammer

OK , I found a place who will convert non AI Lenses to AI in case anyone else has got these non Ai lenses and they wish to update them , the firm is called AZTECH SERVICES .
    I'm just about to get in touch , I'll let you all know how I get on .

Peter .

20. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Thanks again, Nick!

The trouble with posting half remembered things off the top of my head, rather than taking an hour or so to research it properly...