1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So , how many Film Cameras do you actually use ?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Skyehammer, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Skyehammer

Skyehammer Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone ,
    Yesterday I decided to sort through the boxes of Film Cameras I have stored upstairs and brought around 8 of them down for a closer look .
    They consist of Nikons F90 , F301 , F601 , F801 , Pentax P30 , Olympus Trip , Olympus OM2 , Minolta SRT101 , Canon EOS5 , Canon AE-1 Program , Yashica Mat and a Nikkormat .

I'd already put a film through the Yashica Mat and it works , the others I wasn't sure of .
    The Nikon F90 fired up when I'd sorted out through the batteries that actually worked and when I figured out which way the batteries were suppose to go [ all part of my learning curve ] .
    They are all in pristine condition , and apart from the Nikons , all have a lens [ I have Nikon lenses on other cameras ] .
    I'm concentrating on the Nikon F90 and the Canon EOS5 [ sent off for a battery last night ] to see what sort of results they can achieve , then I will have a look at the others in time .

When my darling Wife saw what I was doing , she said ' Why do you need so many cameras ? ' to which I replied ' Why do you need so many bits of Pottery Equipment ? ' .
    Not a great answer , I admit , but it was early in the morning .

This led me to think , ' How many cameras do you actually use ? ' , not how many cameras you possess , but actually use in the field ?

2. Graham_RM13

Graham_RM13 Well-Known Member

One! Olympus OM4Ti Only shoot slide film with it now.

3. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

I think I've got 7 or 8 film cameras of which 4 are in regular use. These 4 are Nikon F5, Mamiya C330f and 2 Olympus XA2s. I have a Nikon F80 which sees occasional use also

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Fewer than a dozen from the scores I own. The smallest I use is half-frame; the biggest, 12x15 inch.

Cheers,

R.

5. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Just happen to have used my 4x5 recently for teaching grandchildren about photography.

6. Skyehammer

I have a Nikon F80 which was the only Film Camera I used , so it was time I added to it .
    The first camera I ever bought , or should I say was bought for me by Jennie , was a Zorki 4K , unfortunately I dropped it on one of our tours of Skye before we moved up here .
    Sentiment made me buy another 2 years ago .[​IMG]

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Haven't used either of my film SLRs for a while. The Brownie and Rollei haven't been exercised since the Relic Challenge. The Holgas had a good spring/summer last year, but the Zero 45 needs a bit of fresh air.

:(

8. Skyehammer

Does anyone own an OLYMPUS OM-2 ?

If so , where would be the best place to buy the batteries for them ?
    They look almost like a watch battery , the only description I can find is ' 1.5v silver oxide ' , and when I type that into a well known Auction site , I get watch batteries come up on my screen , are they the same batteries or something completely different ?
    Thanks in advance .

9. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

None, now I have sold them all. I just can't be faffed anymore; film processing is dire these days and I just cannot afford to waste any more money on iffy results.

My brother has about 15 manual focus film cameras, all Canons, which I can use any time I like, but even with that I cannot be bothered anymore.

I have attained the age when I want everything to be simple and straightforward, after 34 years of dabbling, so I shall be sticking to my Nikon compacts, hoping one day to be able to afford a P7800.

10. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

2 x Praktica SuperTL1000= one for colour slides, one for B&W.

In store are 2 x Olympus OM-1: they need a visit to a repairer- and another Praktica Super TL1000.

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Silver Oxide batteries have a long(ish) life and pretty consistent output through their lives. Alkalines will probably work, but Silver Oxide will be better. I think it is a PX625 or equivalent (but don't shoot me if I am wrong). Maplin used to stock them and may still do so.

12. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

If by "use" you mean "have exposed a film in sometime in the last year", probably around 50 or 60. If you mean "have exposed more than one film in the last year, and anticipate more in the future" - Nikon FM2, Pentax ME Super, Zeiss Ikon Contessa 35 & Contaflex, Kodak Retina IIIc & Retinette IB, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 532/16, 532/16 & 531, Voigtlander Vitessa L, Vito II & Perkeo II. There will probably be more over the next year or so.

I'm not quite in Tony Kemplen's league, but I'm working on it... :)

13. Skyehammer

Thanks , Nimbus , much appreciated .
    There all sorts of answers on the internet .

Alex , that's very impressive , well done .

The F90 powered up quite nicely , I found a colour film to stick in it , located my F90 Magic Lantern Guide for some help , and away I went .
    I must say that it makes a much more impressive sound when the shutter is depressed compared to the F80 , I like it .

14. Skyehammer

Ah well , I actually found the correct batteries for the Olympus OM2 , and they are in fact silver oxide SR44 , if anyone else needs to know .

15. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

The Small Battery Company (Google them) usually if you buy two they are post free.

16. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Use regularly - probably three or four, depending on your view of regular. That I have used at least once - well, I have 72 or 73 including a camera obscura and a shoebox pinhole, neither of which takes film, plus a Kodak that I have to use paper in as the film size is long dead, but notwithstanding I reckon I've put a film through at least sixty of them. I had the Vest pocket Kodak out last week...

Adrian

17. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hi Skye!

a) Too many :eek:
    b) Used two yesterday ;)
    c) And more frames were exposed in my 'Vintage SLR Year' project :D

Cheers,
    Oly

18. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Not in an OM2 but you are right about alkaline v. silver.

19. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Same problem here, but when I compare the allocation of wardrobe space, the subject is dropped. :)

As to how many do I actually use, sadly, none. :(

20. Skyehammer

I saw the results of your paper photographs in the ' Relic ' thread which was slightly before my time , I must say they were very impressive considering what you had to do to achieve the results .[​IMG]