1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So Debenhams has gone....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by pixelpuffin, May 12, 2021.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Debenhams finally closed their doors today.
    No more high street shops
    All staff gone

All Boohoo wanted was the name...
    Will you still shop for the brand??
    Me?? Never. I’ll have no chuck with any brand name under either Boohoo
    or Mike Ashley Frazer group.
    Not a prayer

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Not exactly news. It isn't a surprise. If I want to buy, say a shirt, from a department store I want to go to the shirt department not have to wander in and out of umpteen different "boutiques" scattered all over the place. They threw away all the advantages of being a one-stop-shop by making it impossible to find anything.
    Dunno what they are going to do with our Debenhams. Massive fire-trap of a building that occupies the best part of a block. Certainly didn't like being in there pre-Covid and no way am I going inside now, if there is any footfall at all then people are too close together.

3. pixelpuffin

I respect your views
    For me personally, I’m just getting old and fed up with the never ending buyouts. Employees lives are nothing more than last seasons fashion. I really resent the fact that in the case of Debenhams, the stores have gone as have the staff. The garments will still be made in cheap
    (Child) labour sweat shops, all that’s changed is the new owners have discarded all the expensive overheads yet still assume people will buy.
    Nope.
    I now get my clothes from Asda or Sainsbury’s- could not give a monkeys.
    I googled the list of brand names that Ashley & Boohoo now own. I’ll never give them brands a penny.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The demise of Debenhams helps the survival chances of M&S and John Lewis.

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I thought John Lewis was nearly gone (if not already).

6. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Yawn

Catriona likes this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The view from the Exeter Debenham's restaurant was quite pleasant...

Exeter Steeple from Debenhams  1020328.JPG

8. pixelpuffin

Not in my case
    John Lewis confirmed they wouldn’t be reopening.
    Both Debenhams and John Lewis stores were the jewel in city centre.
    The reason I never went into town was due to the ridiculous car parking charges and beggars.

9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Two different models. M & S mainly own brand (apart from Jaeger) JL another department type store. Primark will probably benefit most...

Catriona likes this.
  10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Our nearest Debenhams (Salisbury) went ages ago and I can't say we noticed. I think the last time I ventured into Debenhams for clothes for myself was when I got fitted for my tails at the Moss Bros. franchise in the Southampton store for my brothers wedding. That was 28 years ago.

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Most John Lewis shoppers would not be seen dead in Primark. The latter is imho an absolutely appalling place. The strength of M&S is their food offering for those who are prepared or can afford to pay the price. Debenhams had simply become brand outlets or concessions in the main. Any company falling into the clutches of venture capitalists or private equity companies is likely to suffer a fairly rapid demise. The interest of such organisations is simply to strip the assets and move on to repeat the process elsewhere.

Learning and WillieJ like this.
  12. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Debenhams store in Bournemouth will see the return of “Bobby’s” who left the site 50 years ago.

13. pixelpuffin

Tbh, I don’t buy clothes that often. But when I do, I usually went to Debenhams. I agree over thd years it became as depressing as House Of Frazer - would not be seen dead in there now. Talk about fall from grace!
    I remember house of Frazer as a child, goodness me, so posh I thought.
    Now I rank it below Primark.
    Sorry Primark !!

14. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

I’ve been to a former Debenhams recently..........in Folkestone, it’s now a Covid vaccination hub.! Probably the busiest the building has ever been in recent years.

15. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

They closed a small number of stores. Ours was one of them. It was an out-of-town store on a big trading estate and never felt like a “proper shop”. Essentially it was matching the box shifters on the same estate. Getting served in there was awful, big queues at the check out desk and no staff on the floor. Certainly didn’t feel like a John Lewis should.

Catriona likes this.
  16. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

In Exeter, Debenhams moved from the corner of Sidwell Street and New North Road into the Princesshay Centre and John Lewis took over the building, having refurbished it to their house style...

John Lewis Exeter from Paris Street roundabout P1130842.JPG

17. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Their milk is excellent :), not that you're likely to see me in one of their fancy new adverts anytime soon.

DaveM399 and Catriona like this.
  18. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I assume Primark is very popular, the one on Oxford Street had queues the morning they reopened (I will say it's in a lovely building, an old music hall although I preferred it when it was the Virgin Megastore) but apart from once buying Dave a pair of jogging bottoms in the Hammersmith branch (And that only because it was on my way from work and I couldn't be asked to look round) I have never used them

Oh and a few years ago they had a really radical idea-they made attractive women's ankle boots in an extra wide fitting and they went all the way to size 9! They were of course immediately snapped up mostly to sell on eBay where I got mine

At a pinch they're better than TK-Maxx or whatever they're called. A friend raves about them but when I had a look I was even less impressed than I was by Primark

19. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Debenhams sizing works for Heather so sometimes buy online. Never has a problem

20. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I've never particularly liked Debenhams or House of Frazer, because their departments such as clothes, was segregated by the brand names so it was a pain in the backside when comparing (for instance) shirts, as they were all spread apart and quite often the staff got quite uppity and snotty-nosed when comparing one brand with another. My parents were largely John Lewis shoppers and I gather my siblings and their children remain loyal to JL, largely because of the quality of their staff, plus if you buy online in Reading, they also offer a drive-in, park and collect point so you don't have to take time off hanging around indoors if you are office staff in Reading who live miles away and have to to take time off work waiting for a delivery van to appear.

Ok, I'm blowing JL's trumpet, but it goes to show that they put some thought into the interface between the shops, their internet ordering and their delivery of goods systems.