1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Smoking (I am back from my hiatus!)

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by KierFX, Sep 7, 2016.

1. KierFX

KierFX Well-Known Member

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Kier,

Nice! Some will complain about e.g. the chopped elbow but I really like the "slice of life" look and the tonality.

Cheers,

R.

3. peanuts

peanuts Well-Known Member

I also like it how it is and think it a great shot.
    I think i would remove the shadow in the right, top corner. I think its a moment and you've captured it well.

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Works well for me.

S

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

A good range of tones is a good start, I don't find the elbow to be an issue in this, it's a well captured and executed unposed picture.

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

It does look like a nice candid grab and elbow looks very intentional, so not an issue. Not entirely sure where the focus is and lighting is a bit severe in places, but as a candid, to be expected. As a controlled shot, it would be an issue.

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Fine without the elbow for me. Nice tones too but for me I'd like a little more light on the face as it's a little to dark relative to the rest of subject.

8. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Don't mind the elbow. Think it needs 7-8% off the l/h side for balance. Good shot. Lovely range of tones.

Nudge Dept.: Might make a great college project; as smoking declines, photographing people lighting up. ;)

Roger Hicks likes this.
  9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Elbow isn't really an issue but I agree that the face is a little too dark. I'd bring that out a bit and lose the dark triangle top right. It does feel as though it's her hands that have the focus rather than her face, and as her face is the area wearing the effects of smoking that's probably where I'd have wanted it instead but it's not a huge differential. Otherwise, yes, I like that.

10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Somewhere I have a shot of a pair of hands holding a cigarette in a doorway. I was struck by the sneaky way the smoker was hiding herself. Assumed it was because with no smoking allowed in the workplace these days, a fly fag break was more likely to attract censure than it might once have done. The ban has certainly changed something about our urban landscape and deserves to be documented I think.

Roger Hicks and steveandthedogs like this.