1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smartphones and Street Photography

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by Jeff Lee, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

As a matter of interest, same shot using the Leica Q2 Mono

[​IMG]eeeee by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr

No processing on either.

2. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Both nice Brian
    I prefer the silver tone

As for the Leica phone, too bad it’s android!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  3. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Hate to admit it but the iPhone handles highlights better than my Leica Q2 Mono or my Leica Q-P

[​IMG]eeeee by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr

That is without editing or compensating in camera.

4. pixelpuffin

Don’t wish to be rude, but I too much prefer the phone version. Wow, who’da thought that.

The iPhone is winning the war - lol

5. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

No, so do I and for most usage would say that the phone is better. I have really very good A3+ prints from the phone and in side by side comparison the Leica is better. However hanging on the wall ?

This also applies to colour. I also have the Q-P to compare with and back up my opinion.
    [​IMG]yfyf by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr

6. pixelpuffin

That’s unbelievable considering the difference in sensor size.
    Within the next decade phones will undoubtedly dominate.

apple just need to build the “ iCube “ (portable flash) That would be a real game changer.

7. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I think digital camera technology is Stone Age compared with phones.

And a decade, don't think it'll be that long, give it a year.......at most.

8. pixelpuffin

A thought just occurred to me…
    Imagine if 2 iPhones could be placed either side of a subject and sync to each other, thus creating 3D imaging/video.

I bet that’s not as far fetched as it sounds

9. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I don't think it is, I think there is more to it.
    I think that the phone companies have almost caught up with digital camera manufacturers and they are offering their software abilities as a means of trying to promote sales of their phones, by showing just how good the phone cameras are, whereas the camera companies want their customers to pay through the nose for the features - because sales are lower, profits slimmer so they need to try to make as much as they can to pour back into R&D. We may be close to reaching the stage where the camera manufacturers will have to offer their so-far "exclusive high-end" features on lower-range cameras else their customers (apart from professionals) will desert them in droves and use camera phones for almost all of their shots. All it will take is for one enterprising phone manufacturer to start offering a lens mount around their normal phone camera lens, and telephoto lens options that can be fitted to their smartphone, and we'll see another game-changing moment

10. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

If camera companies would just use better operating systems than the current rubbish and include 4g in the camera, it would capture slightly more of the market share that phones currently occupy. Give me instagram and 4g on my camera.

11. james6

james6 Well-Known Member

If henri cartier-bresson was alive today I'm pretty sure he'd be using a smartphone. He was just about the moment, not the equipment. Many of the innocent child pictures he took would not be possible to take today, so much of his work could not be emulated.

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

AP didn't think much of the £5+k Zeiss wifi enabled computer with built in lens.

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Shock news - AP might not be aligned to the market for every device.

14. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think they were right about this one

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Yeah, probably. But if you're rich and not into photography but want something like that, it's perfect. :confused:

16. pixelpuffin

I’ve said this from day one.
    100% agree
    Last I read most paper reporters now use a phone for pictures. Didn’t I read the number of in house press photographers has been massively culled in recent years.

if it wasn’t for sons sports. I’d happily get by with a phone and travel zoom.

james6 likes this.