1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smartphones and Street Photography

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by Jeff Lee, Jul 31, 2021.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Maybe or maybe not
    But they’ll have seen his pictures.
    “”The Decisive Moment””
    Each to their own I suppose.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It depends on who you mean by "they" in this context.

3. pixelpuffin

Let’s not be coy Andrew
    It seems every “Street” shooter tries to emulate the greats. I like mono work, but just because it’s colourless doesn’t mean it’s great.
    I don’t think the trend of shooting street in BW is very original, it’s been done to death.

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Maybe but it can be very effective, just like over saturated colour can be at times. Horses for courses really.

Tastes also change. I used to dislike Parr’s stuff. I went to an exhibition of his and really appreciated it and I like it. Am I influenced by his and other peoples work? Yes without a doubt. I am also influenced by quite a few folk on this forum. We take our influences from everywhere. Sometimes the results can be alike, hopefully they will have developed into something different, but ultimately most things have been done I guess.

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Where there are only two options (B&W or Colour) neither choice can be original.

6. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Perhaps somebody would like to come up with an idea for an original genre of photography.

7. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

I am thinking that a thread in the Exhibition Lounge for photos accidentally in the style of might not be a bad idea, or one photographer a day for a month though I think I would struggle to name ten off the top of my head.

8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Likewise. I know some well known ones, but I have never studied photography as such. I may recognise a well known photo but have absolutely no idea who took it. Every now and then, someone here posts links to photographers who I have never heard of. I look at the stuff, like it or not, but most definitely forget their name in minutes.

I think either Kath or Kate have done some threads when they have emulated photographers work.

EightBitTony and zx9r like this.
  9. pixelpuffin

FBEA1E49-0D9E-4F11-8175-73E43911D2A1.jpeg Ok
    Now I’m really gonna ruffle some feathers…
    It’s just occurred to me whilst walking home from work musing over this topic that phone photography is a bit like painting by numbers.
    I use my phone for everything besides sports and macro. The ease is ridiculous, the quality is exceptional considering where it was 5/6yrs ago.
    We need not kid ourselves….or others for that matter.

Just took this picture as I was walking up a steep hill, I stopped for literally 15sec, whipped camera out…and SNAP!! only took the one shot.
    Got home and played with the image using various editing tools on the phone.
    Yes, it’s poor, but the ease is mind blowing, no skill whatsoever. Had I caught my breath and took my time (2-3min) it would probably have been much better. But the point I’m trying to convey is that it isn’t my doing, I just pressed the button!!
    Like painting by numbers….

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Like Nige #68 I’ve got a feeling that this was done not so long ago.

Personally I enjoy photography as a DIY exercise. My working life has been in research and if you are to “develop new” as it were, going in depth on what others have done before is a basic requirement. I really don’t want to do this with my hobbies.

11. pixelpuffin

That should’ve read. “” whipped phone out” I refer to my phone as my camera as that’s it’s primary use for me.

12. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Yes, but it's a boring image of a boring subject*.

The technology was never the interesting bit (I think I said that earlier). Technology (like inventing a new kind of paint, or new kind of painting technique) allows people to express their art differently, but it doesn't fundamentally change the purpose of the art. Coloured pencils make art more accessible than if we only had oil paints, and so more people can make coloured art, but it doesn't change what makes interesting art.

Mobile phone cameras are another way of capturing images that has opened up the capability to literally billions of people in places and times when they would otherwise not have the option - this is fantastic.

* Subjective.

Brian likes this.
  13. pixelpuffin

Have to say I love the Silvertone profile on the iphone
    I use it almost exclusively these days. I've tried to emulate it on my canon picture profile but with very little success

14. pixelpuffin

Are you upgrading to the new 13 model Brian?
    I deliberately went for the cheaper basic SE (2020) a few months back after my old SE battery gave in. Knowing the 12mini was about to be replaced was the reason. But now its here.....

I'm so tempted.

15. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

No I don't think so. But I have friends in Japan so if and when the new Leica phone come out I could be interested.

Like you I have been playing with the filters, quite impressed..

[​IMG]untitled (1 of 3)-2-Edit by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr

16. pixelpuffin

Wait, what!!
    Leica phone??

I had no idea!

17. pixelpuffin

Agree 100% Brian
    I love the iPhone, just love it!!
    C696A90B-B476-4E04-9B1B-5E3EC8088E41.jpeg
    It’s a fraction out of focus, but it was all had that day.

zx9r likes this.
  18. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Here it is.

leica-leitz-phone-1-2.jpeg

Don't know a lot about it. except that it has a 20mp 1" sensor. Being built in collaboration with Sharp. But only available to the Japanese market, hence my reference to a friend in Japan. Rumoured to be around the £1700 mark....so we shall see.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  19. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

20. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder