1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smartphones and Street Photography

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by Jeff Lee, Jul 31, 2021.

1. ptermx

ptermx Well-Known Member

But who says I shouldn't? Frankly, what else do I have but my background in order to read meaning into photos? I'm far more interested in what led you to choose that particular moment to frame that particular scene than whether you used an iphone or a leica. Without that, It's just pixels. Telling us that the man portrayed is your son massively reduces the number of possible interpretations and in that sense, deflates the photo, for it's then clear that it means a lot to you that it cannot to the rest of us.

2. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

But at least I won’t be unoriginal.
    Its quite pathetic actually.

3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I have no objection to smartphone photography - we can all choose how we spend our money - but in this case I noted the trouble he had gone to to make the many of the results look like they had been taken with a camera loaded with grainy monochrome film.

As other forum members have noted, many of the shots are not very original.

Also, preferring to be a 'street photographer' when he is really a travel and reportage photographer appears pretentious to me - perhaps the appellation attracts more 'followers'. A few 'elitists' like us may notice how derivative many of the shots are, but most of the 'followers' will think it's all new because it was shot on a smartphone. That was the point of my comment.

pixelpuffin likes this.
  4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Then you should have left this bit off, "It's been done with an iPhone, so it must be exciting and original..."

dream_police likes this.
  5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Why should they think that? You don't half sprout some crap. Perhaps as they are not as elitist as you, they may not be aware of what has been done previously. Heaven forbid, they may even be a lot younger and just like the photographs and to them it was taken by a smartphone, which to them is their means of taking photographs.

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. pixelpuffin

Chester, you hit the nail on the head…
    “Pretentious” that’s exactly my thoughts too. I see nothing original with Menchers work.

7. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

The thing is... It has all been done before.
    I bet in 1860 salons were regretting that photographer X was so like Vermeer and that the bright young things of today no nothing of art.

MJB, EightBitTony and dream_police like this.
  8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Indeed.

It would be so much less stressful if people just said they liked or disliked a picture or a body of work.

9. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

'You don't half sprout some crap' - is that a childish way of saying that you don't share my opinion, or just an admission that intelligent debate has been abandoned? When we are discussing opinions, rather than facts, differences are part of the debate.

10. Andrew Flannigan

I agree. ;)

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I've never studied other photographers work. Heck, I only know who HCB and Parr are because people have mentioned them in context on here. I've certainly never knowingly seen any of their photos. I very probably have taken photos that are similar to theirs or others, but purely because I found the subject matter interesting and not because I wished to emulate them. Having never seen their work, are my photos original or plagiarism?

EightBitTony and ptermx like this.
  12. Andrew Flannigan

Innocent plagiarism is certainly possible.

You see something in print and 20 years later you use the same composition for an image or the same form of words, having completely forgotten the original. That's why copyright borders on the ridiculous in the modern world: everything has been done before.

13. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Where they taken on your smartphone? If so everyone would assume they were new and original, so no need to worry.;)

On the other hand, if they were with your DSLR, then they would be copies. Simple.

14. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

If you have ever wandered around an English seaside town and taken semi street photos you will probably have similar photographs to Martin's, similar content, similar compositions. When my father passed I scanned a lot of old slides and put them on FB for the relatives to see, some of the shots of Whitby, Scarborough and Brid were very Parr esk but pre date his work by thirty years.

15. Andrew Flannigan

Get him plagiarism, the evil so-and-so! :D

zx9r likes this.
  16. pixelpuffin

Unless you were using flash and VERY vivid film stock I doubt you were copying Parr, maybe composition. But parr’s signature is the high saturation of colour using ring flash. I’ve not seen many takes of his work, but every street photog tries to emulate HCB

17. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Ecclesiastes 1:9 Ecclesiastes 1:9

What has been will be again,
    what has been done will be done again;
    there is nothing new under the sun.

GeoffR and EightBitTony like this.
  18. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Even those who have no idea who HCB is.

EightBitTony likes this.
  19. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

The unlucky brother of the digger inventer...

20. Andrew Flannigan

Why did you have to go and excavate that old one? ;)