1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smartphones and Street Photography

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by Jeff Lee, Jul 31, 2021.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Yep, every single one of those 95k people should do all of their research of the last 90 years of photography before they follow anyone and like an image on social media. I totally agree.

2. ptermx

ptermx Well-Known Member

As a self-identified (new) member of the 95,000, it behoves me to heroically defend the other 94,999 ignorami against the predations of an obscure internet persona they've probably never heard of and care about even less. Yes: Mencher's photographic style lies very much in the shadow of Cartier-Bresson's and that's no bad thing as far as I am concerned. Some of his photos are still good photos. Perhaps we only think that because of their apparent derivation from Cartier-Bresson. But then why did we think Cartier-Bresson was any good in the first place?

EightBitTony and zx9r like this.
  3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I suspect that many of the 'followers' have no knowledge or interest in 'old stuff', but are just impressed by what they see and probably wouldn't understand your point. It's been done with an iPhone, so it must be exciting and original...

4. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Surely you lot can identify where Mencher took the idea from
    I had a massive clear out last year and 90% of my books went to either charity or tip…including the hardback HCB Tomes!!
    I recognise every single shot in that link
    The fact he states he used Leica too and it’s mostly mono work …wow, how utterly unoriginal.
    What a fake!
    It’s like us popping a ring flash on and taking high contrast vivid colour shots….
    Hello…Martin Parr anyone???

I think Mencher needs to be called out…I may just do it myself!!

5. ptermx

ptermx Well-Known Member

Make it soon, and somewhere very high profile. I'll bring popcorn and rotten tomatoes.

6. EightBitTony

Ah well, at least you demonstrate that there is an elitist streak on the forum which dislikes smartphone photography, so I was wrong.

dream_police likes this.
  7. EightBitTony

What photography nerds recognise, vs. what 95k people who like seeing someone's work recognise is mostly irrelevant. When 95k people follow you because of the photography you produce, come back and let us know.

8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I really don’t get how folk who are interested in photography deride the use of mobile phones so much. At the end of the day it is just another means of photography and available to the masses. A good photo is a good photo.

Brian likes this.
  9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I agree that a good photo is a good photo and that the camera in a smartphone is, after all, a camera that can be used to good effect. What I see in family photos (all by phone these days) is that the ease of point and click often results in a result less good than it might be but of course it is moot whether using a conventional camera would change things.

Brian likes this.
  10. dream_police

I agree. Folk who use their smartphone cameras like that would no doubt use a compact camera in the same way. I see that also when I have been on holiday (remember those?) where a camera is pointed at anything without consideration. Where you have someone who has a rough idea of what they are doing there is no reason why the smartphone cannot, compositionally speaking, be as good as that from a DSLR or whatever. I know some harp on that the file size isn’t as big therefore they can’t print out to a massive size, or that a lot of PP is required after in order to make it look better, but how many of us use PP on shots that we have taken on our cameras?
    My wife doesn’t use a camera but uses her phone. Some of her shots, whilst admittedly have only been printed into small prints, look very good. She has the eye. It takes her no time to process on the iPhone itself or using Instagrams own proprietary editing software.
    It really is a case of camera snobbery for some people I think.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    EightBitTony likes this.
  11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

...and once again we're back at defining "good" in the context of a picture...

12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Good is " as good as gold"

13. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

As a confirmed advocate of the Smartphone anyone is welcome to follow me.......to the Chippie:)

[​IMG]

An interesting thing for me is that everyone knows I am an ardent fan of b/W but I am finding I am being more drawn to colour with the phone especially for web use. Another thing in my eyes the colours out of the iPhone11 are really good.

But to revert to b/w

[​IMG]

ptermx likes this.
  14. ptermx

ptermx Well-Known Member

Maybe not what you want to hear, but I prefer the colour version mainly because it looks less 'classic'.
    Interesting role reversal wrt my local chippy (or "chipper" as they call it here) where customers are required to wear masks to enter and staff work unmasked behind perspex screens. Just a wild guess: yours wouldn't happen to be in a solidly tory-voting constituency by any chance would it?

15. dream_police

Maybe not what you want to hear, as it doesn’t fit your mindset, but I live in a solidly Tory voting area. Our MPs are generally cabinet ministers at some point in their terms. A lot of the shops have screens, including the chippy. Virtually all shop staff wear masks and the majority of the folk who use the 2 supermarkets in the village also wear masks. The wait staff in the cafes and restaurants wear masks. Perhaps if it was a poor labour area then the inconsiderate ill educated labour supporters wouldn’t bother. Silly to make assumptions and stereotype on what one votes, isn’t it?

EightBitTony and zx9r like this.
  16. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I quite agree Nige. assumptions are very dangerous. In fact the guy in the picture is my son. He has an exception for medical reasons re mask wearing.

And it was taken in the leafy suburb of Leeds. :)

EightBitTony, zx9r and dream_police like this.
  17. ptermx

ptermx Well-Known Member

I'd respectfully suggest you don't really know what my mindset is. I wasn't so much making a judgemental assumption as making a conjecture and asking for confirmation. I feel confident that, regardless of how he votes, Brian is mature enough to take such a request in his stride and answer (or not) as he feels inclined. I won't be offended.
    As it happens, the thought crossed my mind that a series of photos taken in apparently equivalent circumstances (such as a fish&chip shop) in sociologically differing locations might make a very interesting project (customer being older man with slicked back hair left longer at the back and little gold chain on right wrist signals something because that's how he chooses to dress). I'll leave it at that.

18. dream_police

You were making an assumption that because the shop didn’t have a screen etc then at a wild guess it was a Tory voting area. I think that shows your mindset. You clearly disagree which is fine.

19. ptermx

ptermx Well-Known Member

If I'd known it was a "family photo", I'd have spoken differently of course. No offense taken, I hope. But once you put a photo out there, people are going to read things into it. That's what those 'stories' that photos are supposed to tell are, right?

20. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

But you shouldn't let background effect your judgement. It's only a picture. I welcome any comment on one of my shots, it means at least you thought it worth looking at and making an observation.