1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smart Phones replacing Cameras - BBC

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by AndyTake2, Dec 23, 2011.

1. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

2. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

This story has run so often it's amazing that anything other than "smart phones" has sold any units at all in the last year. Fact of the matter is, most consumers put style above performance.

3. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth!

I guess for those of us who grew up when you had to think before took a picture (think of whether you can afford to process the thing, and certainly think about whether you really want to press the trigger 'cos you only have 3 frames left) things are different.
    Everyone can now take a picture - why should we carry around an extra gadget? The phone is 'good enough'
    I think it's the purists in us that mean we flinch a little when we see this, but at the same time, how many people actually carry a camera around at all times? I would say I have a dedicated camera (compact) with me 20-25% of the time, but the phone almost 100%. I do tend to think of it though if I haven't got the camera, hoping that I don't actually see something worth snapping:D

4. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

I felt the same about roll film.:D:D

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Why can't we have a smart phone built into a DSLR. All the big bits like a battery and screen are there already. The function of the phone keys could easily be provided by the use of a touch screen. All that is needed extra is a very small pcb with a couple of chips at the most plus an earphone.

6. Jacqui Jay

Jacqui Jay Grasshopper's Sage

I don't think smart phones will ever replace cameras per se, but I enjoy having mine in my pocket for occasions where I want to get a quick snap when my birding kit just won't do it.

Oh yes ... and they're fun, especially when used with instamatic, hipstamatic etc.

[​IMG]

7. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Myself, I think things went downhill when they did away with wet collodion. No need to take your darkroom out, made everything too easy, what will things come to?:D

8. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

Low end cameras were usually something that gave acceptable image quality and would easily fit in your pocket in case something interesting should happen while you were out somewhere.

Now that phones give acceptable image quality, and are in your pocket anyway, of course they're going to eat into the market.

9. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I'd been predicting this since the release of the camera-phone. Why have a camera when one comes in your paid-for phone for free? I always thought there would be a quality level where the phone would take over, but the thing that has really caused a change has been the smart phones extra options for uploading direct to the net (cost is vital here, MMS cost always limited its use, but with mobile internet data bundles in contracts its virtually free now) and apps such as Instagram! allowing simple and intuitive post processing, sometimes at the stage of taking the picture... Compacts can't really offer the ease and convenience a smart phone has - its not that people think the phone is good enough, its that they are using the pictures from it in a social networking situation where the picture needs to get online as quickly as possible and they can only get that from a mobile handset, so its not 'good enough', its 'the best that will perform this feature' if they can have instant social use from it. Entirely different uses, phone based social image capture is taking off madly at the moment, eating into the traditional image capture compact market. IMHO.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  10. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

...really wish i'd read the article before posting. It says a lot of what i'd said there. :eek:

11. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

iPhone is the highest contributor to flickr above any other camera, so I'm not overly surprised.

I am surprised, however, by the quality of the iPhone 4s pics for a camera phone. The crowd will engulf us all.

12. Steampunk

Steampunk Well-Known Member

Good and not surprising really and no doubt many people are having 'FUN' taking shots just because they can and couldn't give a f*** about all the crap that is spouted about 'How to take the perfect photograph'.

I recently read about an 'Experienced amateur photographer' (his words) bemoaning the fact that his pictures had received very little interest or comments on Flickr but that 'some dumb kids shots' of her boyfriend falling over was liked by 1000's of people, camera phones encourage spontaneity which is often lost when selecting, lens, aperture, speed, ISO, WB, composition, etc, etc..YAWN, Sigh, I remember fun, maybe I should get a camera phone. :confused:

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I have a dream... unlikely to reach fruition... of learning the collodion process, dressing up as a Victorian photographer with a beautiful wooden camera, and doing street photography/portraits with it (quite possibly during the fringe etc). I reckon one could have a lot of fun like that. Not much of a living, but fun nonetheless.

14. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Just that camera phone have reach a level where they follow the old Kodak phrase "You press the button we do the rest" except the we is now the software/hardware engineers developing the phone technology. :)

Question is what about the next 10 years?

For example could the light field technology be reduced into a new generation of smartphones?

Could we end up like Black Mirror's episode The entire History of You?

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/black-mirror/episode-guide/series-1/episode-3

15. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Here you go

www.collodion.org/pubs.html

Not quite died out yet