1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smaller more powerful chips for computers

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by AndyTake2, May 6, 2021.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Some acronyms are now words in their own right, so that the original phrase is almost unknown. One example is 2,4,6-trinitrotoluene, which few people would recognise. Talk about TNT and pretty much everyone understands you.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Give it a good nudge and it will announce itself.

What has this got to do with 2nm integrated circuits?

ChrisNewman likes this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

I have no idea but this is where we seem to have ended up.

4. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

I read on the BBC site 'IBM says its 2nm process can cram 50 billion transistors into "a chip the size of a fingernail" - up from 30 billion when it announced its 5nm breakthrough in 2017.”' I had assumed the nm value referred to the size of each element, but if that was the case, reducing from 5nm to 2nm would increase 30 billion to nearly 190 billion. Does it refer to the precision of the fabrication?

I believe there is a minimum size possible for elements in microchips before quantum effects negate the insulation between each element. Are they close to that limit yet?

Chris

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Not my field but I believe the 2nm refers to the spacing but you need someone who really knows about integrated circuits for an accurate explanation.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Maybe, maybe not. This might help (or just confuse you further)...

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If they are quoting IBM then I’d take their figure. I’d guess the 2nm refers to some linear scale of the etching process and not the size of a transistor. 2 nm is incredibly small.

8. Andrew Flannigan

As is so often the case, Wikipedia is your friend...

9. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Thanks to all. I’m now better informed, but perhaps not any clearer! Anyway, I think one more camera body should see me out, and I’ll probably buy that before this technology has filtered down into chips used in cameras.

Chris