1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smaller, lighter…

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GeoffR, Jul 15, 2021.

1. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

^
    Gulp - missed that part, thought you were talking about used lenses only and, yes, decent professional grade Olympus stuff holds its value very well on the used market.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

So it appears but I suspect one reason is the shortage of such items. Once updated versions are introduced the prices of the older versions are likely to fall. We’ll have to see what the new owners do with the company and product range.

3. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I thought about getting smaller, lighter gear a couple of years ago, but was reluctant because I use wide-angle more than telephoto, and I like precise depth of field control. Instead I implemented the mature landscape photographer's platinum rule, well known to many. :cool:

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, nada, zilch, worth photographing further from your car than the reciprocal of your age in years, measured in miles."

Out here it's a little more complicated, as the distance unit changes. It is nautical miles in spring and autumn (lovely weather), statute miles in winter (it might rain) and kilometers in summer (sweat dripping onto the camera is not good). As an example, the standard rule at, say, 70 means one seventieth of a mile or 25 yards. In Cyprus this is fine for winter, but adjusts to 29 yards in spring and autumn, and just 16 yards in summer. You just will not find anything, ever, photogenic beyond these distances. So don't bother!

The distances are always quoted in yards, just as film and sensor sensitivities are always measured in ASA. ;)

This is why I still use my Sony FF gear and drive a nimble four by four. The corollary to the rule is that if you need anything longer than 300mm you're just not a very good driver! :D

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Damn!

There goes my excuse for buying a Nikon P1000. :p

IvorETower likes this.
  5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I like all those except the cat. Nothing wrong with your photography. I hate cats.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

A new car for £20,000. OK but to get what I need in the boot I would need two of them! That said, buying a new car is a very effective way of getting only 3/4 (or less) of your money's worth. Buying used that £20,000 will get you something much nicer, and larger. The same applies with cameras, I haven't bought a new camera for 18 years.

7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Dilemma alert!
    Last week away in hot temperatures, could only carry light gear. I have a sony rx10iv, and that my friends nearly killed me (exaggeration perhaps but it wasn't pleasant), so do I ditch that and go back to a dslr and have two lenses or think well it's only ever hot in UK once in a blue moon...
    No dilemma really...grow some muscles and man up!

8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

An ebike should open up new locations.....if only they were worth photographing ;):D.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  9. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I knew there was a reason to dislike you!
    Seriously I get some people don't like cats just as long as you would never be deliberately cruel to one I just think you haven't met the cat for you yet

Happened to a friend of mine his ex-wife had six cats and he never liked them. Was sharing a house with 3 other people and one afternoon he was sitting in the living room, it was a hot day so he had the French windows open that overlooked the back garden. He saw a scruffy looking cat in the garden and it looked so thin and miserable without thinking he took a couple of slices of ham out the fridge and threw them at the cat who ate them...Then sauntered into the living room and had a look round then looked around the kitchen so he left the kitchen door open and shooed the cat out. It vanished so he forgot about it until he went to bed....cat had somehow got back in (more likely never went out in the first place) found which of the 4 bedrooms was his and was sound asleep on his bed!

And that is how Matt ended up with Fuzzbutt

zx9r likes this.
  10. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

I have had the privilege of being owned by a number of cats in the past

zx9r and Zou like this.
  11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I don't like cats - as a concept. I don't like the devastation they can wreak on wildlife, and I will never be totally happy with them because my grandmother had 18 cats, and her house smelled constantly of boiling lights... both being pretty disgusting.
    But I've nothing against cats in particular, depending on the cat itself. My mum is riddled with arthritis, and when my dad died, she got a cat from a rescue centre. Couldn't be more perfect for her, Lucy is incredibly good tempered, talks to her more than any other cat I've ever known, and is perfect company for her.

zx9r likes this.
  12. Andrew Flannigan

Cats make nice subjects for pictures, even if only because they're allowing you to record how handsome they are! ;)

Delilah on Suzie's lap at Crediton P1220056.JPG

13. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Cannot possibly win on weight vs Oly and the lenses are same or more expensive. Need to think again. Journo / blogger friend of mine bit that bullet years ago and dumped all his Canon gear for Oly. I find the EM5 is fine as backup or alternate for the EM1 and I have big hands.

You can cut some costs with Lumix lenses and performance is just as good.

14. Andrew Flannigan

I've nothing against Olympus but I just don't get on with them.

I bought an Olympus Pen FT in 1969, used it for one job and sold it on. That set the pattern. In 1981 or thereabouts I aquired a pair of OM-1n bodies, motor winds and three lenses. Lovely little things and I got a number of shots I prized but they just didn't suit me.

Come 2009 I tried again with an E-P1, 17mm and optical finder. "At last!" I thought, "I've cracked it."

Over the next few years I aquired a mix of Olympus and Panasonic kit until it dawned on me that I was keeping three times as many of the shots from the Panasonics than from the Olympii. I've kept the E-PL5 with the Vf-2 and the 9-18mm lens and the rest has gone to more deserving homes.

One thing I will say for Olympus kit: if you buy carefully, you won't lose much, if anything, when you pass it on! :)

15. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

^
    And for me the opposite. I've tried Olympus and Panasonic, and cannot get on with the Lumix bodies but find the Olympus stuff excellent.
    I find that the Panasonic menus appear to be written and structured in a way for "techies" to use whereas Olympus seem to have developed a knack to get it "Just right" for photographers.

I really hope that OMDS don't much up what they have purchased

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

My experience of (older) m43 was that Panasonic was much easier to get through the menus in a logical sense, whereas with the Olys I couldn't work out how to change a focus setting inside a minute. But, it was the latter which had the functions I wanted. So I never bought one, despite long thinking I would. Got a Sony instead, the menus of which were super easy and clear, despite reviewers saying they weren't. :confused:

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

After being bitten towards the end of the OM system when Olympus stopped making some accessories, like battery packs. I am wary of going back. Also, I tried an Olympus a couple of years back and wasn't terribly impressed, I had it for a couple of months before trading it against a Nikon D4, on which I have since taken around 20,000 images. It is largely a case of considering options at the moment but I won't do anything without handling the kit first.

18. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I remained with Olympus because the IS is within the body, not the lenses. This means that its IS functions with any lens that can be fitted on it. I have occasional issues with Olly's menu layout, but I prefer the devil I know to the one I don't, or rather, my memory having to cope with two different systems. In some respects, when I've handled a Panasonic I do like the way the controls are laid out. I just wish Olympus would reposition the On/Off switch back to the right-hand side (under my thumb) where it was on the E-1 .. The OM-1 styled lever could then be repurposed for a range of user-selectable functions.

19. RovingMike

Wasn't it the Technical Editor of AP only a couple of weeks ago who wrote that he could choose any camera he liked, but for his own use most often picked up the E-M5 Mk3?

20. RovingMike

But you don't list any of the bodies that have won so many people over: E-M5, E-M1. Not sure you can judge without using either of those.

By the way, all of them have little or no influence over what you point them at and whether you regard the results as keepers.