1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slide Projector advice

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by pioneer31, Jul 9, 2013.

1. pioneer31

pioneer31 Well-Known Member

I have in my possession 2 slide projectors, a Reflecta Diamator AF and a Elmo Omnigraphic 253.

Can anyone help in advising where these sit in the projector hierarchy.

I have 2400 slides and they are stored in 'straight' slide mounts for the Reflecta (each box holds 300 and I have 8). The Elmo takes carousel mounts and I have calculated that I need about 30 (I only have 7).

So, my propensity is to get rid of the Elmo (as it requires buying loads of carousels), however I suspect from testing them that it is the better machine, or at least the lenses are. I cannot keep the lenses and use on the reflecta as they are a completely different fit.

So the question is.......how much difference is there between the projectors? Have I got some cheap rubbish and an industry standard one, or are they very closely matched?

Thanks!

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Must say I had never heard of the Elmo - from what I can find, it uses the same magazines as the Kodak Carousel series, and is similar (but allegedly tougher). I do have a Carousel, and a couple of Reflectas - can't tell much difference between them, TBH, although the Carousel is the tougher of the two - mine saw life as the advertising projector at Leeds Grand Theatre for quite some years and is pretty much as good as new.

3. JohnDuder

JohnDuder Member

I've never heard of the Elmo: I know they made cine cameras and projectors, but they weren't anything spectacular, as far as I recall. Reflecta were (at least at one point) mid-range German, and hence quite well up the market.

Can you get the magazines to fit the Elmo? (I know of two rotary types: Rollei and Kodak. The former aren't obtainable, I think, but the latter may well be.)

I'm inclined to say that if the results are better, and the noises the Elmo makes are nicely-sliding mechanical ones (rather than stuttery and graunchy), go for that one. If either machine goes wrong, you're going to rely on finding an ingenious repairer, or one with unusual spares in his cabinet!

And, of course, you don't HAVE to store the slides in the magazines, if you aren't making up standard shows. You could put the ones you're not showing in simple slide boxes.

4. pioneer31

pioneer31 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies guys. The Elmo came from obsolete University stock, so I'm guessing that it isn't "bad"

I thought I read somewhere (or someone told me) that Elmo were the a rebadged Kodak. They certainly resemble a Kodak projector although they are heavy and built like a tank.

I can buy the carousels off Ebay (subject to the usual greedy prices) but I would need a lot of them. I would prefer to have them ready mounted and stored in carousels as I find it a pain to mount them all

The only difference I noticed between the lenses on these projectors is that the Reflecta has a very small window of focus, whereas the Elmo can be rotated much more and still stay focused. I don't know if this indicates lens quality as I'm not really clued up on this aspect.

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

In quality, at least in build terms the Elmo should be better. I have an Ektapro, bought at a low price from the local general auction some years ago. It is built like a tank. The Elmo is basically a professional quality item, designed for many years of heavy use, or even abuse.

I do see the carousel slide trays at car boot sales and markets on occasions, often at very low prices, they seem to fetch good money on ebay.

6. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Am surprised.

In some countries they were the 'pro' standard as well as being quite big in the education sector. Some people find the horizontal rotary magazines a real fiddle. Others say they are wonderful and never, ever jam or spill slides. The advantage is - as hinted at - by the advertising/theatre reference, is that a horizontal magazine can be left to run unattended as a display projector.

And as you say, if looked after, the Kodak Carousel (& Elmo) were pretty much bomb-proof.

7. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Do you want to do serious shows for other people or merely look at your own work for pleasure?

The Diamator was a good enough projector to bear the Agfa name (have a notion that it might have been a rebadged something else: Kindermann? or Braun? and would have sat alongside their badged projectors and Rollei's, GAF's and Leitz' lesser models as a general consumer item. A-V pros would be more likely to use the high end Kindermann, Leitz or Elmo & Kodak machines.