1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slide copying (with a twist)

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by taxor, Dec 19, 2006.

1. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

I've just been experimenting with a home-made slide-copier. From past experience I knew contrast control was going to be a problem. For various reasons (contrast-conrol foremost) I want to copy colour slides onto black and white film. Initial tests were OK but still showed a marked increase in contrast despite downrating and 'pulling' the film. I've since experimented with FP4 downrated to 32asa and devvved for 6.5 mins in dilute D76. Grain is almost invisible and contrast is admirably restrained. I decided to shoot each slide twice, giving one the correct metered exposure and the other, an extra stops worth. In almost every instance, it's the one given the extra exposure that looks best. That means my next test will be taken with FP4 rated at 12~15 asa! I'll pull development by 50%. Now, to get to my point. Has anyone out there in AP land copied trannies onto B&W film and if so, what were your results/conclusions. Any info that would save me the odd roll of film is welcome.

2. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Well, as you can see, my somewhat esoteric enquiry generated precisely b*^%*$all reponse. But, after a little more testing, tweaking and faffing around with film speeds, dev times and dilutions I got my almost perfect negs. And for those who are even remotely interested, I used FP4 downrated to 4 (that's right! 4) ASA, devved in D76 at 1:3 dilution for 10 mins at 20c! Now you know! :D :D

3. Tacitus

Tacitus Well-Known Member

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Personally I'd have chosen Pan-F, but the key issue either way is probably in managing the contrast appropriately. However, I guess my own first experiments would be with digital conversion.

There may be another film/chem. approach: Agfa COPEX film plus SPUR chemistry - optimally, this combination can give around 600lppmm at an ISO of 25-40. Again, the problem may be in contrast management. A further option may be to look at Gigabit film - more info on Retrophotographic's website. Good luck.

Alan

4. josie

josie Well-Known Member

Forgive me, but what is the object of the excercise? Do you want to produce B&W prints from this process, mono slides? - (I understand some films reverse better than others.)
    I might be barking up the wrong tree, but perhaps the easiest option is to scan into an imaging programme, and then convert to mono and print out on IHP film to give a contact negative (okay, you need to faff around in curves etc, but still a worthwhile excercise!)
    Whatever your reasons, I hope your having fun - do you have a comparison file we can look at perhaps?
    Jo ;)

5. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Jo, you are duly forgiven! :) The object of the excercise? Hmm... A couple of reasons really. I am going to produce monochrome images from some of the copied slides, and the rest I'll archive. I feel a lot happier having a physical image to deal with, even if it is B&W. Well processed and stored negs (which mine are) will last a long time. I know, I know it's a little illogical doing what I'm doing, but I'm a little like that in real life and stubborn enough to make it work! On a practical level, I also don't have a scanner with a neg scanning capabiltiy or a computer with enough memory to make work easy. More to the point, I really don't want to spend my hard earned money on anything computer or digital orientated unless it's unavoidable, which up to now it hasn't been. I'd rather buy paper, film, chemicals and camera/darkroom hardware. Someday, I'll have the necessary stuff to make scans etc, but it's simply not a priority for the time being. Besides, the whole excercise has (for me) been a really interesting way of adding to and improving my knowledge of the photographic process.