1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skeletons in the cupboard

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Jul 12, 2020.

1. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

One of my forebears came over with King Billy, and got a patch of countryside for his generally being very unpleasant to Catholics.

2. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

I recently did a DNA ethnicity test, as did Mrs M. The wife's results came back as over 80% English, with a few bits of European thrown in.

I was convinced I was more English than her, but I'm 51.2% North and West European and only 48.8% English. Don't tell Farage or Priti Pathetic or I'm going to be shipped off abroad! (although that's probably no bad thing!)

John Farrell and Catriona like this.
  3. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

How many toes does she have on her left foot? :D

Ours weren't that mobile (apart from a few family members that moved to Australia and Canada) and tended to stay in the same few villages for 100's of years. My gr-gr-uncle started working on the family tree at the turn of the century (1900) and manage to get quite a way back, I took over the project in the 80s and got back to the early 1500s and then patchy records* back a hundred or so years earlier than that.

* By patchy I mean that I haven't been able to get full information on all the births/deaths/marriage dates for all the people I was tracing, mainly just birth/death data.

I also have small groups of data for people with my family name dating even further back, I know what villages they lived in and know they must be related but haven't got all the relevant connections to place them in their proper place on the family tree.

It's a fascinating subject though. One of the saddest stories I uncovered is of a father and son both in the armed forces (different regiments) who both died on the same day several thousand miles apart.

John Farrell and Catriona like this.