1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Six people rule for no longer than we have to'

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

On the efficacy of the flu vaccine, I get it every year, and I'm confident in saying I've never had flu, even before I was getting the vaccine. Colds, and bad colds, but not the flu. Folk seem to assume there's not much difference. :confused:

Catriona likes this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

As I pointed out:

On death certificate where COVID-19 mentioned: 4247

3. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Here in New Zealand, the covid dashboard and test numbers look like this.
    dashboard.JPG test.JPG

4. Danno

Danno Active Member

So, in New Zealand, the recovery rate is 1737/1762= 98.6%, and a confirmed fatality rate of 25/1762= 1.4%. I wish ours was that good.

John Farrell likes this.
  5. Danno

Danno Active Member

Perfectly true, but this is not reflected statistically. Recovery, by their definition, means that the patient positively had the disease ( ie, positive tests) and the patient no longer has the disease ( is now negative). We will never know how many were infected but not tested ( recorded) and recovered. Likewise, we will never know how many have died from the disease, but were not tested, and are recorded as deceased from other causes.

This can be compared, I think, with the statistical fatality rate of AIDS, stated as 100%. Many, the majority perhaps, are living normal lives with the disease, due to successful treatment, but no significant number ( if any) has recovered ( tested negative, after a confirmed positive). Using this as an example only, as I really do not know much about that disease.

6. John Farrell

We have a broad definition of a covid case here - some of the deaths were of people who had not been tested, but were diagnosed from their symptoms. These were older people in a dementia home, and the doctors felt that testing them would be too distressing for them. The Health Ministry have also started adding historic cases, who weren't diagnosed at the time but discovered now through detection of virus residue and serology testing, to the total of cases.

7. Danno

Danno Active Member

I'm gathering from that, your recorded " COVID deaths" include the broader definition? I can therefore only admire the health-care system, and the overall general health, of New Zealand.

We've had problems, in Canada, with our "system" reacting to the crisis. We can only hope that the powers are mending those problems, but.....

John Farrell likes this.
  8. John Farrell

We got here from a position of weakness - contact tracing and testing were not adequate, back in March, and we didn't have the ICU beds to deal with a surge of covid cases. We had a month's strict lockdown, and during that time the testing and contact tracing systems were overhauled, and ICU bed numbers were increased. We are now able to deal with outbreaks with partial lockdowns, although the latest cases - contacts of someone who was infectious even after 14 days managed isolation, and 2 negative tests, will be problematic. These cases have quite a large number of contacts, who have to be traced, isolated and tested.