1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Six people rule for no longer than we have to'

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

But Boris's other half is on holiday in Italy with kids and friends.

2. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Mark,
    That simply beggars belief. If it was not that I have read your posts for a long time, and therefor feel that to some extent I virtually know you, I would assume that was a wind up.
    There is a theory that anyone who actually wants to be a politition should be barred from standing. Things like this make me think we should consider barring anyone who went to Eton from standing.
    W

3. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I fear you have misunderstood me. I was aiming that barb at the all populations in general. The last world crisis of comparable magnitude was eighty years ago. The assaults on personal freedom now are a mere fraction of what happened back then, but people's idea of what inalienable rights they have now appears to have produced a generally uncooperative attitude.

To support this view, the countries that are the worst hit by the disease appear to have the highest number and size of demonstrations against COVID measures introduced their governments. Is this correlation due to indiscipline arising from a sense of entitlement?

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I am entitled to not wear a mask and to become infected, however should I fall ill I am entitled to the best possible care...

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

FTFY

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Everyone does not get the same flu jab. Older people get either a larger dose of a standard vaccine or a combination of standard vaccine and an adjuvant. I don't know what is different about this year's offering but for the first time ever got a quite strong reaction to it. I wonder if the flu vaccine dose has been bumped up a bit this year.

7. Learning

There is a way of inoculation against smallpox without a safe vaccine. It is variolation.

8. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

So am I.... rip open the wrapper, tip the magazine out without touching it, place wrapper in bin, wash hands with soap, dry then pick magazine up and start to read it.

Coming to this thread late, it's surreal. At least 3 different themes interlaced.... posts on covid interlaced with tales of electric drills and corner attachments. I wonder what next.....

9. Mark101

What's next ? :confused: Well I believe the rule of six is either a plot involving the Cylons , but I can't figure out who the final five are, or it's all somehow connected with a plot from the grave by Patrick Mcgoohan to enlist large numbers to join his fan club. :eek:

10. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Which other half and which kids?

Perhaps the rules about compulsory (but not enforced) self-isolation will again be applied to returnees from Italy before their return to the UK...

Catriona likes this.
  11. Mark101

We live in hope. The Johnson clan obviously have failed to take heed from the Covid first run-in.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  12. Danno

Danno Active Member

Going by the published statistics, the fatality rate in Canada is holding at 7%, and in the U.S. at 4%. Worldwide the rate is currently 4% fatality.

John Farrell likes this.
  13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Comparing current infection rates in Italy to those in the UK, I'm amazed they let them in.

Zou likes this.
  14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Is that of all tested?
    Or all who tested positive?

For Scotland it is
    10.06% of those who tested positive (have died)
    but
    0.34% of all tested (including those negative).

15. Danno

Danno Active Member

The statistics as recorded show the percentage of deaths/closed cases. Of those who become infected, there are two possible outcomes: recovery or death. So, worldwide, 96% of closed ( no longer infected) cases have lived through it, while the rest have not. If a person becomes infected, there is a 96% chance of recovery.

EDIT: I missed your other point, that these statistics are based on reported infections, presumably "tested positive". Like all statistics, we can only judge by what is recorded, and ignore speculation.

16. Learning

There are three outcomes (or more if you want to grade damage). Recovery, survive with damage, and death. There will be cases where death is not the worst outcome.

17. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

The difference could just be down to how targetted the testing is. If Canada only tests those with severe symptoms requiring hospitalization then the fraction dying would be much higher.

Testing is not the same everywhere & this puts a huge selection bias on any interpretation of the statistics.
    You can't even rely on data about Corona deaths as there are variations on what counts including Doctors alledgly adding it to a death certificate because it reduces the autopsies they have to do!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Danno and Catriona like this.
  18. Danno

Danno Active Member

Totally agree with everything you say. Unfortunately, I (at least ) am not able, or willing, to speculate upon fatality ( or recovery) rates on other than stated evidence. No doubt, many cases are not made evident because people just don't have it seriously enough to be aware of having been infected, and do not declare themselves. Also, not all regions in even the most advanced countries have high healthcare saturation, and active cases are missed.

Interesting to note, there are no recorded and released figures for UK cases of recovery; all we have are the number of infections, and the number of attributed deaths.

We can only go by what is recorded and published. I wouldn't doubt that, as well, many elders are passing on with underlying illnesses, not recorded as victims of COVID, even though they may have had the disease. Statistics is, at best, simply educated speculation.

Petrochemist likes this.
  19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

The raw data I have from the Scottish Govt reports.

Total tested: 744653
    Total negative: 718693
    Total positive: 24960
    Total died: 2510

in intensive care: 10
    In hospital recently confirmed: 84
    Discharged from hospital (COVID-19 cases): 4362

On death certificate where COVID-19 mentioned: 4247

So make of those raw data as you will.

20. Danno

Danno Active Member

From that basic raw data, we can extract a false 10% fatality rate ( 2510 deaths / 24960 positives). What we do not know is how many of those positive cases have recovered, and that would be the true factor to consider; many of the "positive" cases still can go either way, and so affect the survivor rate.