1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Six people rule for no longer than we have to'

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Who are these six people? I get four of them. In order of importance:-
    Cummings,
    Boris,
    Sunak,
    and Gove.​
    Who are the other two?

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Hancock, Patel and Raab
    Given Cummings propensity for total honesty they will gather as seven....

Jimbo57, Fen, Learning and 1 other person like this.
  3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Breaking the law in a limited and specific way.

Learning and MJB like this.
  4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Only six more required for a coven...

5. Learning

Yes. Good thinking. We must have Hancock. The quote is his expression. He should have realised how it could be misinterpreted.

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

No Grease-Smug?

7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

He's in isolation as one of his brood is stricken (maybe) by this plague...
    However don't rule him out

8. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Mark Francios? Although he seems to be isolation as he's not been seen for a while.

9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

He's probably on some covert special forces operation.

beatnik69 and Scphoto like this.
  10. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

This whole thing is a problem. Six person rule is actually just two triumvirates at the same time. Now, the Romans tried triumvirates not just once - no they tried it twice, and it didn't end well, No indeedy, it did not end well at all. All those smelly unwashed barbarians finally sacking Rome? Like I said , it did not end well - except, of course for the barbarians. I guess they did pretty well out of it.

Now, our rule of six is clearly twice as bad as a rule of three, so this is just not going to end well either - in fact, twice as badly. It's just a matter of weeks - maybe days, even - before the filthy Hun, or the Bosch if you prefer, and the dastardly Frogs are storming across the channel to rape and pillage us. They've tried before! We must beat our ploughshares into swords, gird up our loins, fight them on the beaches ( I stole that line from someone, can't remember who) etcetera etcetera. Remember Crecy, remember Agincourt, remember Blenheim (I won't mention Waterloo 'cos the Krauts were on our side then).

Best we dispatch the Senseless Six (sounds like an Enid Blyton bunch of kids, don't it?) to the Tower forthwith, instantaneously, quick as flash, in the blink of an eye. We'll still beat our ploughshares into swords, though, 'cos we'll need them for the next bit.

Learning likes this.
  11. Learning

Oh gawd. I started this as a joke. Don't read too much into it, I realise that the 'ruling' team are a joke, although I support their aims.
    More seriously R is bigger than one. Politicians use R to their own advantage but they don't understand it. They hope that the general public is as ignorant. R is quite difficult for many people to understand, although everyone here is obviously expert. It is after all one of the easiest statistical terms to understand provided that it is explained. I will explain it on another thread if anyone starts it. I will be sober by tomorrow morning, so you will need to wait until then unless someone else leaps into the breach. I promise that I will not invoke 'e'.
    By tomorrow I might decide that I need to invoke 'e'. Circumstances change. For example, one might become sober. e is a wonderful number; e dwarfs R.

12. Learning

I think that you have captured the genre of the thread perfectly.By the way Enid Blyton went for Secret Seven, not six.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  13. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

I think you were supposed to put the sherry in the food as it cooked not drink it :p

John Farrell likes this.
  14. Learning

Are you sure that you intended that retort only for SqueamishOssifrage?

Zou likes this.
  15. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I rather liked your deliberate misreading of what the man said - a sort of existential pun! Blyton also had 'The Famous Five'. The Famous Five, The Senseless Six, The secret Seven, and judging by the additional names suggested by the forum, The 'Ateful Eight.

16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Pugh, Hugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb

Petrochemist likes this.
  17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

If they are at work it's fine, and social distancing goes out the window during fire evacuations etc.

#takingittooseriously?

18. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

One of my student officers was telling me that during the height of this cold thing going around, they were working on a guy who had a catastrophic bleed and had gone into cardiac arrest. The officers were stopping the bleed and doing CPR. A high ranking officer was witnessing this and approached the officers to remind them of social distancing!

Zou likes this.
  19. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Are they Cylons ? :eek:

20. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The Last Five are far too intelligent to get involved with a bunch of losers like that... ;)