1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sigma lenses

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Roger_Provins, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I see the 24-70mm f2.8 HSM has joined the 70-200mm f2.8 HSM with both now available in Sony/Minolta fitting. Shop price is about £650 each. I expect Sigma will release all their HSM lenses in the A mount from now on.

2. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

Things are looking up for us Sony users at last from Sigma :cool:

3. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

How much better (or worse) is this lens compared to this?

4. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I should imagine the quality will be the same, it is just the difference in the way the drive focuses the lens.

HSM is quicker and quieter

5. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

I have the Non HSM version and it is a real belter of a lens. I really can't see the benefit of spending an extra £400 on the HSM version for a slightly quieter and marginally faster focus. :D

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The new lens is an entirely different design, with very different MTF curves if you look at the Sigma site.

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

The fact that they've managed to knock 20mm off the length of the old version certainly bears that out! And I agree that the charts look better... but are they better enough to justify a £400+ premium compared to the non-HSM version? Over to Mr Crawley I think... :)

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Ah, now there's a question!

9. TallPaul

TallPaul Well-Known Member

Definetly not, you should spend £800 more on the Zeiss lens in the same focal range... ;)

10. raceman

raceman Well-Known Member

is anyone else else having problems with an A700 backfocusing with sigma lenses or is it just me?

11. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Please not that posting the same question in more than one forum or thread is against forum ettiquette...

12. 5872

5872 Well-Known Member

Is an APO lens better than a Non-APO lens?

13. Roger_Provins

Like for like ... yes.

14. Roger_Provins

... would be nice to see his findings :)

But, on the subject of HSM, SSM, USM and the rest ... the lens motor method of focussing is always quieter than the body drive design BUT it is too often assumed that it is faster, and this is not necessarily the case. However the lens motor does often use smaller steps than body drive method so can be more accurate. The down side is more complication ... more to go wrong.