1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sigma lenses for Alpha 57

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by frank1, Apr 11, 2014.

1. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

I know this has been discussed before and I did try to find the various threads without success. I'm picking a secondhand 57 tomorrow after years of waiting. For some reason I've been fixated on it. Question is Sigma lens compatibility. I've got a 70/300mm APO Macro a 170-500mm non digital version and a 14mm 3.5. Now I know there's the chewing of the gears thing on some lenses but are there any other issues.

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I haven't had any compatability problems with Sigma lenses on my A57 to date, I have an elderly 24mm f2.8 and a 400mm f5.6 (non-apo), although I mainly use the 24mm on my A850 for obvious reasons. My modern 100-300 f4 is also fine.

3. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Second question Firmware update the version on my camera 1.2. There is a 1.4 version. Is it worth the risk and it seems to only way to update the firmware is with the camera attached to the PC.
    Not the usual way I do a firmware update. I always load it on to the memory card and do it that way.

My PC has a terrible habit of crashing so this option is not one I'm happy to take. Any thoughts

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I've never checked which version mine has! I suppose it depends what it applies to.

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

This has made me check mine. It has version 1.3.

6. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Since the Win 8.1 latest update my PC seems ( touch wood ) to be running fine. Though I still would prefer to it just using the memory card. At least the camera is the only element that can go wrong. Okay the memory card can also go wrong. I shall do more research and see if an update is worth the risk.