1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sigma DP1 available in the spring

Discussion in 'Other Brands & Accessories' started by Roger_Provins, Jan 31, 2008.

1. APchris

APchris Well-Known Member

Thats what I thought too, but then I've handled a friends GRD and was pleasantly surprised at how small it was! The Sigma looked about the same size as the Ricoh.

I guess the two Japanese gents must be dwarves :D :D

2. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Most of them are, that's why the rear seats in Japanese cars are uncomfortably small for many Westerners.

3. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

Yes, but which other manufacturer has put a APS-C size sensor in their camera?

4. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Lots of them ... rather less if the camera has to be a "compact".

However this isn't the point. We can judge from the size of some compacts, phone cams etc. that the support circuitry etc. will fit into a very small space, and an APS-C size sensor is more or less the same dimensions as the film gate in an APS-C film camera. OK, the sensor is thicker than film, but by way of compensation there's no need for the film cassette or take-up spool in a digital camera.

If it was possible to make a cigarette-packet-sized APS-C film camera with a zoom lens, it certainly ought to be possible to squeeze a digital camera with an APS-C sized sensor into the same package. Maybe even the same shell.

Ten years ago, several manufacturers were indeed selling APS-C film cameras with zoom lenses which were approximately the size of a pack of 20 king-sized cigarettes. I even had one for a while - Minolta Vectis 20 if my memory serves me correctly - anyway it had a 2x zoom lens, 25-50mm, which retracted into the body when not in use.

Case rests.

5. FujiSigmaNolta

Oh come on, you know what I meant, since we were talking compacts. Only Sony has done so with the R1 bridge camera, and the size of the behemoth that they created probably gives us a glimpse of things.

Then there are other factors that are not being taken into consideration. For starters, maybe Sigma are trying to keep the camera accessible. Then the electronics of a digital camera are slightly different from the electronics of a film camera, they need more constant power and they are far beyond being simply a sensor mounted on the back of a film based body.

I think they wanted a lens large enough to accomodate the APS-C size sensor so it wouldn't give us soft corners and tried to keep it compact, hence no zoom lens (compare the R1 to your regular compact).
    I think in your standard APS film camera the soft corners wouldn't probably be so noticeable as you had the print the results and mostly in smaller sizes,I haven't seen the Vectis you are talking about, but I am sure the lens circumference is not as big as the one on the DP1 as most APS zoom compacts had smaller circumference lenses if I am not mistaken.( if I made myself clear and coherent as it is late enough). It won't be the case with the DP1.

6. APchris

APchris Well-Known Member

Well, you'd think so but remember film can accept light rays at a far greater oblique angle than a digital sensor whose photo sites are hidden in deep wells below micro lenses.

Digital camera lenses need to keep the light rays emerging from the rear element as straight as possible to avoid cronic vignetting.

7. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

8. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Re: Sigma DP1 - even more samples

Nice pictures but I want to see more above ISO 200 - there is only one (the jellyfish) and there isn't much shadow area in that. Ideally, I'd like a side-by-side shoot-out of the same scene under all ISOs compared with something like a Powershot G9. That will tell me whether the big sensor is delivering what we expect it to (and support the price tag that Sigma will no doubt put on it).

9. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

10. Lounge Lizard

Re: Sigma DP1 - 800 ISO sample

I'd rate them as:

1) Nikon D80
    2) Sigma DP-1
    3) Canon G9

11. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Agree - what is blindingly obvious is that the DP1 will out-gun the smaller sensors of compacts/bridge cameras at higher ISO's...

However, for someone like me who only shoots at the lowest ISO possible and prints upto A4 max, the larger sensor is not required :eek: :D

12. Lounge Lizard

The thing is whether IS in small-sensor compacts permit low ISO in low light situations to create relatively noise-free images without having to buy a DP-1.

Another thought is whether having a high Mp large-sensor chip will permit a significant amount of cropping to make up for not having a zoom lens.

13. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Why bother when you could have a low pixel count small sensor for a lot less money?

Sometimes a prime lens is liberating - unfortunately it's not likely to be something that's going to become fashionable again in the forseeable future.

14. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Pics of the Sigma DP1 plus lenses

Japanese site Watch Impress have posted a whole page of different views of the DP1 (plus the add-ons - inc. viewfinder) together with some pics of the new DSLR lenses - all the pics can be expanded as required...

Broadband download only

15. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Re: Pics of the Sigma DP1 plus lenses

Must get one of those.

Visit the page, the translations are unbelievable. :D Note: I have no idea whatsoever what the original Japanese actually says!

16. FujiSigmaNolta

I am not sure about the price though...it's basically as much as a SD14 with a zoom lens. By the way does anyone know if Jessies are phasing out the SD14, as it seems they are not listing them anymore in the website. They had them going for £299 after cashback. I think Jacobs Digital is not listing them either...

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Once Sigma have got the teething problems sorted and this model in circulation I wonder if they will market a range, all identical except for the lens. I want a 24mm (36mm equiv) version please :)

18. FujiSigmaNolta

I think some high quality glass conversion lenses would do, I am sure Sigma could come up with something.

19. aquatarkus

aquatarkus Member

Think you'll find that Jessops, Calumet and Jacobs ha all stopped stocking the SD14, Calumet and Jacobs both had the same deal as Jessops. the same thing seems to be happening in America with Cameta a very large retailer. get the impression that Sigma have used these companies to clear stocks but the guys on the Sigma forum on DPreview are still saying that the SD14 is not discontinued, as perSigma showing at PMA and Focus On Imaging next week. will be good to see some of the A0 size prints from the DP1 that are going to be shown there.

20. FujiSigmaNolta

What would be rather good, would be Sigma jumping the gun with another DSLR.Something with a bigger sensor (in terms of crop factor) and maybe 7MPx3 just to keep things interesting.