1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Sigma DP Merril missing from 2013 Awards

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by idreamedof, Feb 18, 2013.

1. idreamedof

idreamedof Active Member

It's curious that the Sigma DP Merrill compact cameras weren't even nominated in the awards this year. Yet these cameras produce images of astonishing technical quality that can be compared with the best available. I'm aware of its flaws from the reviews of the DPM, but when so many AP readers shoot landscapes, with their cameras set at the lowest ISO, and on a tripod, would they be bothered by these when they saw the results? Many people, including myself, are put off by problems such as no RAW workflow in Lightroom, or cost (for a fixed prime lens camera), but others may find its the camera they've been waiting to since the advent of digital. It's a shame, for the sake of these potential buyers, that it is being ignored by the reviewers in this way.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I'm not sure it's curious at all - all the cameras shortlisted in the enthusiast compact award are a lot more generalist and as such potentially appeal to a wider audience. You could argue that there should be an additional award for super-premium compacts, in which case these cameras should certainly be considered IMHO, but they are very much niche products.

3. idreamedof

idreamedof Active Member

Yes, I agree there is no category for these cameras, and perhaps there should be. However, I still think it curious that such key pieces of photographic equipment haven't been considered in what is an important resource for photographers in choosing the right equipment. It isn't just a beauty pageant: we rely on these awards to help us make judgements before we part with our hard-earned cash.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Ah, but that's where I disagree with you - I don't think these really are "key" pieces of equipment - they're incredibly niche. So much so that I'm not really quite sure what the market is for these cameras, if I'm honest, but I'm pretty sure you can't blame AP for that - the review I remember was pretty positive about the camera, but it's not AP's job to promote certain cameras through their awards - simply to identify the best products in each category. I'm not meaning to defend their choices, but I personally wouldn't pick the Merrills - or the Sony RX1, for that matter - in the categories available, nor would I really expect to see them there. As I said, add a Super Premium category and I would expect to see them battle it out.

5. idreamedof

idreamedof Active Member

I wonder what you mean by a Super Premium category? That term would suggest a high price – like the RX1. But the DP(X)M cameras are only a third the price, so I would think they would be disqualified. I suppose the difficulty is that they're not designed to appeal to the mass market and therefore can't be categorised. My puzzlement is that the results from these cameras are so good, nothing really compares, and yet they are being largely ignored. By the way, I don't see where I was apportioning blame in my opener – I was careful to state everything in general terms.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I think you've answered your own question there. I think they're being ignored because they just don't suit the vast majority of people - even I can't think of a use for one, and I've more cameras than sense. ;)

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the start and end of your first post seem to imply it:

as does just about the whole of your second post:

"
    However, I still think it curious that such key pieces of photographic equipment haven't been considered in what is an important resource for photographers in choosing the right equipment. It isn't just a beauty pageant: we rely on these awards to help us make judgements before we part with our hard-earned cash."

The tone is one of blame, no? Not a nasty one, for sure, please don't think I'm having a go at you, I'm not, but it sounds as though you think AP are responsible for promoting this camera.

7. idreamedof

idreamedof Active Member

I think you are reading too much into it.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

OK, my apologies. I would ask, though, if you proposed these cameras for the one award they were certainly in the right category for - the AP Readers' Product of the Year? As someone very wise once said to the Industry "And if you don't covet it {the award}, you should - it's the only award chosen by your customers!"

9. idreamedof

idreamedof Active Member

I missed that issue – doh!

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Shame. Remember to look on here in November/December to have your say this year!

11. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired