1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sigma 500mm f/7.2 APO lens

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Neil007, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Neil007

Neil007 Member

Looking at buying a 2nd hand one for my Sony A350. Anyone out there give me any advice or information on this lens and what price I should pay for one.

Cheers Neil

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Never had the 500mm but I did have for some while the quite similar 400mm f/5.6 macro APO. I actually wish I'd never parted with it as it was an excellent (if cumbersome) lens. Note I'm talking of the "macro APO" version - which was the last of the many incarnations of this lens. There lies the problem with these lenses - including the 500mm f/7.2 - their compatibility with modern dSLRs is not guaranteed. I wouldn't get one without first trying it on my camera. Sigma can re-chip some, but not all, versions to work with dSLRs.

3. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

I've got the 170-500mm Sigma, but prefer to use my Sigma AF Tele 400mm F/5.6, which I got off of ebay for just under £300. Works well on my A350 and I don't usually have to carry a tripod or monopod to use it.

4. Neil007

Neil007 Member

Thanks for your comments but I've bid on it and won it on ebay for £242 which i think is a good price. I'm hoping to get some good wildlife pictures with this, so time will tell.

Any more advice or information on this would be gratefull.

5. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Don't think the 500 sigma will be chipped in the first place Rog it is after all a M/F mirror lens

6. Roger_Provins

I assumed it was <this> lens (click on picture for a larger view).

7. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I have the 400mm f5.6 non apo/macro in grey and love it, but I have never seen one go for £300..........

Mine only cost £209 when I bought it back in 1990

8. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Ahh, a lens I didn't know about, and considering the comment "Not all versions are compatible with 7D / 5D cameras" possibly more so then with Alphas

9. Roger_Provins

Which is what concerned me about Neil's purchase. Let's hope his particular lens will work with Alphas :)

10. Neil007

Neil007 Member

Thanks for all your msg's. I've played around with the lens and it works perfect with my camera. As a novice I was getting worried that it wouldn't work. The wife didn't want me to get it but I went ahead and when she started to read your comments I could see me getting it in the neck if it didn't work lol. Taking it out at the weekend so will post some pic's on my flickr page.

Cheers Neil