1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM (not the newer 'Art' type)

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by PMurrell, Oct 28, 2015.

1. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

Hi,

Anyone had experience using this lens (Nikon fit)?

Considering picking up a used one.

Cheers.

P.

2. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

When I used a Nikon D300, I used this lens as my fast standard prime (which it was on a DX body). I had no problems with it at all and reckon that it gave me good results.

Sigma, along with other non-OEM brands such as Tamron, are what Ken Rockwell refers to as "junk lenses". I suspect he says things like that just to be controversial and boost his income. While the build quality and QC of those lenses may not match Nikon's own, I reckon they are fine for light amateur use and have never had problems with any that I have owned (I still use the Sigma 150-500mm very happily).

Be aware, though, that the lens is designed for DX bodies - which is why I got rid of mine when I moved to full-frame.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  3. PMurrell

4. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I seem to remember Geoffrey Crawley gave it quite a good write up in his review in AP a few years ago.

5. PMurrell

Hi Alex,

I managed to pick one up. So far so good.

Cheers

Peter

6. PMurrell

Took back the 'older' version as I was having problems with focusing and exchanged it (paid a little extra) for the newer 'art' version.