1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sigma 170-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Roger_Provins, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I need a longer lens for wildlife and have been tempted :)

Anyone have one of these and can comment on the quality/sharpness please?

2. ChrisBrookes

ChrisBrookes Well-Known Member

I have not got one, but I remember when I was looking at getting either the 50-500 or 170-500 I remember quite a few people saying that the 50-500 gave better results than the 170-500, thats only second hand though I don't know myself !

3. Rustyknight

Rustyknight Well-Known Member

I took my camera body into a shop that had both the 50-500 and the 170-500 lenses in stock, and was allowed to fire off about 15/20 shots with each lens. Compared the results at home later and went for the 50-500, which to my mind gave much sharper and clearer images.....

Of course, the 50-500 is quite a weighty beastie to carry around, let alone use, but I sometimes go for weeks without taking it off the camera.

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for your valued comments.

I've been reading many reviews on the net but, as always, the more I read the more confused I get! I have found the that the latest incarnation of the 170-500mm get significantly better reviews than the earlier version did. In fact Dyxum readers (and they're very picky usually) give it very high marks.

I've looked at the 50-500mm but I wouldn't want the wider end and its 200 quid dearer ... but it is an EX lens ... oh dear ... I'm gonna have to think a bit more :(

5. Norman

Norman Well-Known Member

Have owned them both. Started with the 170-500 and found it OK, but not outstanding. Was a few years back though. Upgraded to a 50-500 (Bigma) which was very much better. I later swapped that for the Canon 100-400 which is better still (IMO). I had bought the Sigmas through eBay and got most of what I paid when I sold them on eBay.

6. bellyboy

bellyboy Well-Known Member

I am thinking of this lens(170 - 500mm) aswell :)

Roger, I agree with you in that I don't want the lower end of the 50mm for the 50 - 500mm lens.

I was just thinking if there is any lens distortion on either of the lenses, the 50 - 500mm in particular?

7. Norman

Norman Well-Known Member

One of the benefits of pBase is that you can search for images by camera or lens. These links will show you results from both of the lenses.
    Sigma 170-500
    Sigma 50-500

8. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I have my eyes on one of these,just need to persuade someone to let me get it....

9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Hi I have one of these if you'd like a look at some images look at www.dorchestercc.co.uk and look at 2006 match reports- the photos for the games before July were done with Pentax FAJ 75-300 and after with Sigma 175-500
    I know there are only a few but I hope they help

10. Matt_Hunt

Matt_Hunt Well-Known Member

My random sprinkle of 50-500 shots included lots of females sunbathing.... :eek:

11. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

I have just discovered (today) that we have two of these lenses at work! I have already hinted that I might be wanting to borrow one ;)

12. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

Yeah I noticed that too. :D Something to do with "birds" in the search criterea perhaps..? Oh well maybe not. :rolleyes:

13. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

Theres some nice ;) pictures on that site

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

How about the 120-400. Its half a stop faster with OS. We need to see if image quality is best from 500mm uncropped or 400mm cropped.