1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC HSM

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Hi,

This lens has a £50 cash back and is only (?) £299 to start with. With something off that for a p/x of my 17-70 this could be a worthy swap. After all, it is an EX and at only 3:1 zoom range should be pretty free of the worst aberrations.

Does anyone know if it is a good performer, bearing in mind the K-3 enhanced sensor?

Photozone.de give it the thumbs up, with a caveat at f/2.8 saying it is soft between 17 and 35 at the edges, but at f/4 this disappears. Sounds good. The bokeh is also well formed, rounded and smooth.

It is more affordable than the Pentax 16-85, but less versatile on zoom range. Just means a lens swap is more often required.....can live with that perhaps?

As you know, I am looking for a replacement for the 'just a bit naf' Sigma 17-70.......

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  2. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I have no direct experience of this lens but do have the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 which performs excellently on my K3.

Looking at "Sigma 17-50 f2.8 vs Tamron 17-50 f2.8" threads on online forums, mainly for the D7100 with same size and MP sensor, consensus seems to be the Sigma is the better option but be prepared to test out a couple of copies in-store as they, apparently, can be a bit hit and miss as to if you get a good one first time.

3. Monobod

Yes, thanks. I have heard this said before about other Sigma lenses. It is a bit odd and I wonder if it is the 'workman blaming his tools' syndrome again. The lens is one of the pro range (EX), so I would be a bit surprised if quality control was not up to scratch.

The Pentax 16-85 has, according to Ricoh, been optimised for the K-3 and would be a good choice because of the excellent range of the zoom, but it is pricey in comparison. it would, of course, not need to be swapped as often as the 17-50.

Have you felt the rage to be restictive with your Tamron?

Perhaps the best course of action is no action at all at the moment. Perhaps, when the economy is in full tilt again, prices and VAT will come down......Oh! another flying pig.

:)

'Confused of Norfolk'.

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I had to send back my first 10-20 zoom as it suffered from quite obvious decentering and that's an EX model too...

5. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Nope, but then my standard zoom journey has been a little... Odd...

Std zoom wize, started with a 18-55mm then got a 18-135mm with my next camera, then got a nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 after that, then defected to Pentax and have a WR 18-55mm I only ever use in the rain and immediately got the Tamron for the f2.8, mainly this one for the aperture and the fact it compares favourably with the Pentax 16-50 f2.8 WR. Plus second hand it is very affordable.

Reach wise, I found the 24-70 superb optically but lacking at the wide end and I didn't overly notice the difference between 50mm and 70mm, and the difference between 55mm and 50mm really is not quantified to my eye. If I am doing anything that needs reach, I use a long lens and keep it on. The 18-135mm was ok but you sacrifice quality for convenience. I would most likely be very, very happy with the 18-35mm f1.8 sigma bought out purely because the quality is soooo good...

The two options for covering the whole range is a second body with the other lens permanently on and take a hit in the weight you carry around, or something ridiculous like a 18-300mm or the Sigma 50-500mm and take the hit in image quality.

6. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Wow, great price for the Sigma lens :D and one thing/difference betwixt Sigma and Tamron, that I've noticed, is that Sigma will come out with a lens and they will have several difference versions, with some being top notch in general terms and other versions don't garner such high accolades. Where as, Tamron, will come out with a lens and, for the most part, have one version and leave it as is, with the exceptions being the competitor of the Sigma lens in question :)

Cheers,

Jack

7. Monobod

Thanks for all of the comments. I am more interested in image quality then convenience, so the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 will be the choice I think. It is a bit soft at the extreme edges at f/2.8, but stopped down to f/4 at all focal lengths the performance is rated as very good to excellent on the test charts. Just waiting for WEX to give me a trade in value for the 17-70.......:rolleyes: